Honey Gourami breeding help

knaz42

Hi,

I have recently bought a couple gouramis for my tank. This morning one of the males went quite dark and started to build a bubble nest. It now looks like there are eggs in the nest. This particular aquarium is quite new (I have another one with panda cory fish) and I really didn't expect them to breed so soon. I'm a bit lost about what I should do now as I wasn't really planning on breeding them (at least not yet). The male is now very territorial of the nest and I don't want there to be problems. Just wondering what's the best thing to do as I just don't have the set up required for breeding fish.

Thanks

jinjerJOSH22

Fishlore VIP
Hi,

I have recently bought a couple gouramis for my tank. This morning one of the males went quite dark and started to build a bubble nest. It now looks like there are eggs in the nest. This particular aquarium is quite new (I have another one with panda cory fish) and I really didn't expect them to breed so soon. I'm a bit lost about what I should do now as I wasn't really planning on breeding them (at least not yet). The male is now very territorial of the nest and I don't want there to be problems. Just wondering what's the best thing to do as I just don't have the set up required for breeding fish.

Thanks
Do you have pictures?
I don't think it will be an issue, Honeys aren't aggressive and as for the fry, if you don't intervene I doubt many if any will survive. Any that do you could keep or give away.
How big is the tank?

OP
K

knaz42

Do you have pictures?
I don't think it will be an issue, Honeys aren't aggressive and as for the fry, if you don't intervene I doubt many if any will survive. Any that do you could keep or give away.
How big is the tank?

Hi, Thanks for replying
The tank is 123l and it currently only has the 4 gouramis in it. Do you think I should remove the bubble nest? I could potentially set up another smaller tank and put them there. It would just be difficult to remove the gouramis from the current tank that they are in as the other one is just way too small...

Ive attached some photos , I put a plastic cup to prevent the water flow from being to strong

Attachments

• IMG_2919.jpeg
    IMG_2919.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2914.jpeg
    IMG_2914.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2917.jpeg
    IMG_2917.jpeg
    55.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2918.jpeg
    IMG_2918.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 108

jinjerJOSH22

Fishlore VIP
Hi, Thanks for replying
The tank is 123l and it currently only has the 4 gouramis in it. Do you think I should remove the bubble nest? I could potentially set up another smaller tank and put them there. It would just be difficult to remove the gouramis from the current tank that they are in as the other one is just way too small...

Ive attached some photos , I put a plastic cup to prevent the water flow from being to strong
So these aren't actually Honey Gourami they are Thick Lipped Gourami, they are a bit more aggressive than Honeys and grow a bit bigger(still fine for your tank and in a group).
It's your choice whether to remove it or not, he won't stay as aggressive if you remove it but I also doubt he'll do any damage if you don't.

OP
K

knaz42

So these aren't actually Honey Gourami they are Thick Lipped Gourami, they are a bit more aggressive than Honeys and grow a bit bigger(still fine for your tank and in a group).
It's your choice whether to remove it or not, he won't stay as aggressive if you remove it but I also doubt he'll do any damage if you don't.
No way, at the store they said they were honey gouramis! Just for my curiousity, how could you tell?
Ill most likely just leave it in then, hopefully they won't mind too much!

jinjerJOSH22

Fishlore VIP
No way, at the store they said they were honey gouramis! Just for my curiousity, how could you tell?
Ill most likely just leave it in then, hopefully they won't mind too much!
Stores often mislabel them.
So i'm not great at telling them apart but these seem fairly obvious, they look thicker than Honeys the lips especially and that Orange with a greyish white tail is only seen in Thick Lips I believe.

This is a Thick Lipped Gourami

F231D757-E0B5-4661-B449-D3A9F47BF2A6.jpeg
and this is a Gold Honey Gourami

5AEFA1A8-9E00-4678-AD5D-1CB25B5C73B6.jpeg

OP
K

knaz42

Stores often mislabel them.
So i'm not great at telling them apart but these seem fairly obvious, they look thicker than Honeys the lips especially and that Orange with a greyish white tail is only seen in Thick Lips I believe.

This is a Thick Lipped Gourami
View attachment 649689
and this is a Gold Honey Gourami
View attachment 649688
That's really interesting! Good to know which ones we actually have!

We definitely got one that loves building nests but he isn't being so territorial anymore so its all stabilised! Thanks for the help!

jinjerJOSH22

Fishlore VIP
That's really interesting! Good to know which ones we actually have!

We definitely got one that loves building nests but he isn't being so territorial anymore so its all stabilised! Thanks for the help!
I'm glad and happy to help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
raita11
Replies
Views
Kuebeecee
Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies
Views
Falena
Replies
Views
LoganKarl

Did You Know...

You can tag another member to get their attention in a thread by typing the @ symbol and then the forum member name. For example: type @Mike within your post and the forum will auto-link the name and send Mike a notification when you submit your thread or post.

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom