honey gourami behaves like a cory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my new honey, who is very cute btw, rarely eats at the top, but rather the bottom, picking on the wafers intended for the corys. is this normal? he/she, not sure which one yet, likes to hang out towards the bottom too, under the cave, behind it, weaving through plants and picking at the gravel and at the wafers. i wasn't under the impression gouramis would do this.....

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Where the Greatest Team of All resides ;)
Experience
Just started
My honey gourami is all over the place. Picks at the gravel, then slowly swims over to the driftwood, then through some plants, then meanders to the surface for a bit, then finds a reason to go back to the bottom Sometimes it doesn't realise food is at the surface, so I wait til it goes up there and drop a few little flakes above it to get its attention. How long have you had it?

OP
jerilovesfrogs

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rhan: i've only had him about 4 days or so. it's not that he never goes to the top....but like jaysee said, he spends a lot of time towards the bottom. which is good to know!

so if he eats more from the bottom, like wafers etc, is that ok? i could try to wait until he comes up....but then i'm guessing all the pigs aka harlequin rasboras, will be too aggressive about the food and honey will be too passive. those harlies are crazy about the food.

i could just give honey some time to adjust more......

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Give him some more time for sure, but as you know, each fish is different. As long as he's not ill, he might just be an oddball fish (I've had my fair share of those...). They're far more interesting IMO!

Good luck, sounds like he's just that kinda gourami

loachaholic

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My honey was the same for ages, for the first couple months I had him I wasn't even sure what he was eating since I never actually saw him swallow anything. NOW though, he's the biggest pig in the tank! First one up when he smells food, gobbles up as much as he can before the others come up. And since my little sparklers like to circle their food before moving in for the kill, he tends to just swoop in and steal it from right in front of them, the little brat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 9.0%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 67 67.0%

Top Bottom