Honey babies update!

noxifish

Some time ago I shared my story of the Honey fry growing in the tank cleaning bin and I thought it would be nice to give you an update.

About a week ago I felt the time had come to clean out the bin and see where things stood. So I carefully removed all the vegetation and netted out all the fry into a container, which I then used to drip acclimate them to the main tank's water. Turns out the ph was quite different in the bin from the aquarium so this process took about 3 hours. I really didn't want to rush things and cause any shock.

The final count is 11 1cm Honey fry and 4 1/4 cm fry. I also found 3 pearlescent danio fry in the mix! I've since moved the larger fry into the main tank to let them grow out a bit before I find them homes. The small ones are staying in the breeder for now as it has a lid and I'm not quite sure if their labyrinth organs are fully mature yet. The tank has a screen cover so I'm trying to play it safe.

If anyone knows at what age they're safe to live in an uncovered tank please let me know!

Mom and dad were pretty surprised to see all the babies. Everyone looks happy and healthy and there have been no deaths. We're doing 5 feedings a day of live baby brine, they sure are hungry..

Attachments

• IMG_4049.JPEG
    IMG_4049.JPEG
    172.7 KB · Views: 25

bcsay720

They look great! My one lone fry is about where your 11 are. Not sure when an uncovered tank is good, but my fry started making a bubble nest for fun around 7 weeks in its uncovered breeder box (it was in it a covered grow out tank originally but kept swimming into the filter...). That may be a good indicator of its labyrinth organ. Mine is at 9 weeks now in the uncovered main tank and is doing great. I have pretty heavy floating plants in my tank, so that may make a difference, too. I hope that helps!

caveden

How do you breed ur honey gouramis? I have 5 of them which never breed. Had them for nearly a year.

bcsay720

I only had two, which ended up being a mating pair. They spawned twice, and then camallanus worms appeared. I had to euthanize my female while waiting for meds to arrive, sadly, so I will not have fry again in the near future... I let them just breed in the main tank, and I fished out the eggs. I didn't realize there were eggs the second time and tried to fish out the fry.... my male wasn't happy about that and none of them ended up surviving past 2 weeks.

Hellfishguy

If you see them going to the surface for air, the labyrinth organ is fully developed.

bcsay720

It's what helps bettas and gouramis breathe air. It makes them highly adaptable.

noxifish

How do you breed ur honey gouramis? I have 5 of them which never breed. Had them for nearly a year.
You can trigger them to breed by feeding live foods and raising the temperature a few degrees for a few days. So if they're normally at 74, raise it to 78.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
noxifish
Replies
Views
Mii
Replies
Views
AcuarioAmazonico
Replies
Views