Honey and Pearl in a 30g?

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my 30 gallon, I have 6 rummys, a panda cat (3 more will be added soon! ) and 1 male honey gourami. The LFS I usually go to has female honey gourami's from time to time so I am planning on purchasing a mate for my current gourami. Would it be wise to get two females or is 30 gallons enough room in case the male ends up picking on her?

My last question is about pearl gouramis. Is it likely that a pearl gourami would harass 1 or 2 honey gouramis in a 30 gal? Honey gouramis are so tiny I find it hard to believe a pearl gourami would feel threatened enough to show aggression, but this is just a guess. Maybe a female pearl would be a good solution?

Oh so many questions!

Just curious of other people's thoughts and experiences about this

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Not sure about 1 or 2 honeys, but I think 1 should be fine. The pearls should be fine with the honeys.

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That was my guess but I am wondering if anyone else has any thoughts/experience with this?

Emberdee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm no expert, but I know gouramis can be aggressive to others of their own kind. I know honeys and pearls tend to be more docile and okay in groups, but it would probably be better in a bigger tank. Even if you won't get the pearl, I would suggest planting it fairly heavily to obstruct the view and limit territorial aggression. I'm not sure, but this is what I would do. Well, I hope this helped and your tank works out to be the way you want it to be!

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
30g, heavily planted with floating plants as well.. I plan on getting a few more tall plants as well.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think there is minimal risk in doing a pearl and 2 honey gouramis.

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hmm, well I think I will go ahead as planned and observe their behavior closely. If things go sour I will bring the pearl back go with an angel or a ram or something else.. Maybe if I go with a female pearl instead of a male there will be less of a chance of aggression..

Is this a decent plan?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never witnessed any aggression from pearls, male or female.

Neji

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In my 30 gallon, I have 6 rummys, a panda cat (3 more will be added soon! ) and 1 male honey gourami. The LFS I usually go to has female honey gourami's from time to time so I am planning on purchasing a mate for my current gourami. Would it be wise to get two females or is 30 gallons enough room in case the male ends up picking on her?

My last question is about pearl gouramis. Is it likely that a pearl gourami would harass 1 or 2 honey gouramis in a 30 gal? Honey gouramis are so tiny I find it hard to believe a pearl gourami would feel threatened enough to show aggression, but this is just a guess. Maybe a female pearl would be a good solution?

Oh so many questions!
Just curious of other people's thoughts and experiences about this
I think you should just have one male and one female honey gourami. I hear they are community fish, and aren't as aggressive as the Pearls. I am a little scared about the pearls but since you have a 30 gallon tank, you should fill it with lots of live plants (if you have the right light) and then that should create a good amount of hiding spots for your fishes

ladyagate

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have live plants in my tank, although I would like to switch over this summer. My tank is very heavily "planted" with artificial plants and floating plants so I think the environment is pretty good for the time being. I think I'll start with 1 female and if my male appears to stress her out I'll add another female to distract him.. haha

The tough thing is that it depends greatly on the personality of the fish..

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I wouldn't suggest it
I currently have three different types of gouramis in one tank at fist they weree aggressive

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have a pearl, female, with a blue and they are fine, but it is a 400 litre tank. I have a honey in another tank but it is much more timid. I would be very interested to hear the results if you try it. It sounds like a good combo.

mosaicguppy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
actually depends on the personality of the fish! And gouramis are so full of it you might be surprised!
That's how I fell in love with them
Mine will just chase for five minutes then swim happily together, after five minutes the war begins!;D

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The OP has not returned to this thread for several months.
Please check the dates before replying.
Thanks!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom