Honestly how much money has everybody spent on there tanks?

1. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Ok here's the real question, I've been on the forum for about a week and everybody is friendly and just as in love with there aquariums as I am with mine and I've put a quite a bit of money into mine and I know you guys have to, so add up how much money you've spent including setting up the tank and stocking it with plants and fish how much you've spent on your tank lol then post it. :) it'll be fun to compare!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Mine is about 600-700 but that's just a geuss I'll add up the true number later

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I daren't even think about how much money I've spent on my fish but it has been done over a lot of years.

3. mg13 Well Known Member Member

I spent about thirty on my two... but they are small and i don't have a job so i cant spend too much... lol

4. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

Yeah lol mine might be more and I've had mine for a year. I live with my parents so I don't have bills

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

This is a scary thought.... And a long calculation...

Over £2500 ... $4300 on 12 fish tanks, 1 snail tank.

Horrified. Wish I hadn't added that up.
    I'm off to sulk in a corner now...

6. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't even want to know.... I get bored of my tank looks very quickly, so I end up buying and replacing decorations, buying plants they die because I don't know how to look after them or Helena eats them, or they thrive and I give them away because I want prettier ones...

If I had to guess, maybe £800 or more, I have two tanks, 75 litre and a little betta tank (no idea how big it is, I think it's a 4.5 gallon). I have gone through up grades and different substrates a few times, I have started buying driftwood too, so I have that in both tanks now.

Last time I went to the fish shop I spent over 60 pound....

7. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

It's a zero-sum game for me, but one where I am obviously the sole participant. I put a lot into my tank but I get a lot out of it.

8. TKDennison Member Member

Oh man. If my husband knew I've spent probably close to 1,000. He would kill me. But I do have 4 running...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Very true. I went to sulk in the corner... Saw all my tanks and realised that they are worth every penny and more. You can't put a price on the enjoyment it brings!

10. Micaela13 Well Known Member Member

I have 4 running at the moment. I've spent close to $1000 probably more actually.. I have spent probably $600 on fish alone because of shipping and I have expensive taste on the actuall fish themselves, I guess that's the girl side of me lol :p and now I'm about to spend a couple hundred more dollars on my water dragon lol. When I think about it it saddens me haha but it's so worth it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

11. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I just recently got a 72 gallon bowfront for my birthday. Total costs with tank, stand, glass lid, led lights, 1 hob filter, plants ( fake and some real ) decor, Tahitian moon sand,

$1,300.00 give or take a few dollars

12. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

I was also horrified...thought about husband realizing total TOTAL - went in a corner to sulk with Hollie - then realized like Adam55 how much I get out of it.....

PRICELESS.......

13. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

The thing is, I try also not to put a price on things either but since you asked...... If I ENJOY it, it doesn't matter what it costs and thats all that matters. :)

14. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

A few weeks ago I was bored and wondered the same question. I spent $788 on 4 complete setups and all the fish. 2 tanks were brand new which was 29g and a 10g. Otherwise the 55g and my 3.5g were used.
    Check my tank info for equipment and fish.

I don't regret a single cent spent on them! I love my fish, they are my therapy when I'm having a bad day I'll just pull up a chair next to the Cichlid tank and sit with them.

I Have been having A lot of health issues the past few months and almost had to sell them (not being able to take care of tanks and being in the hospital for days on end and not knowing if we have power at the house with the bad storms and flooding) But I'm glad I got through it so far and every day gets better! Even in bad health I still like taking care of them and doing maintenance.

15. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Hrrmm.... I think of it as having made a life long investment ;)

16. Boeing250 Well Known Member Member

I'm honesty not sure,but my estimate is $150.01.

17. Christopher shoemaker Member Member

I completely agree, we all might spent alot on our tanks but it's worth every penny with the enjoyment it bring, it keeps me sane haha. But yeah I think it's around 800$ and I like expensive fish to lol

18. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Been in the hobby 4 years now. No clue what I've "invested" in my fish.
    Probably enough to buy a good 2nd hand car.

Hey, it's cheaper than therapy. Hmm, maybe we have a medical write off here eveyone.

19. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

In the last year I bought a lot of equipment to breed, raise, and house bettas. But I also spend a lot to make my tanks more habitable and attractive than anyone who was only doing it as a business. Someone who was only breeding for money would not spend $1000's on equipment to grow plants in all these betta growout tanks, for instance. But the number exceeds $10K over the last two years. It will be a long time before I sell enough bettas to pay back the expense, but then again, if I was in it for the money I would be doing something else. I just love my little bettas.

20. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

There's days like today where I am so glad I have my tanks. Something to stop my brain working overtime and relax me. Something I need in my life to remind me just how beautiful the world is.x