Honduran Red Point & Yellow Con

ccb04

I've recently been doing some reading/research on both the Honduran Red Point and Yellow Convict (Cryptoheros Nanoluteus).

I've considered ordering 4-6 juvies of one or the other in an attempt to gain a mated pair. Really like the coloration of both. Anyone have any preferences or suggestions?

Is there any possibility of the two being tank mates (a single specimen of each...not pairs)? I would think not, but I thought I would ask any way.

Lastly, would either the HRP or the Yellow Con be suitable as a single specimen in a community setup. If so, what other CA/SA might make good tankmates?

Thanks.

Amanda

I was considering both in my 72 SA/CA community. I don't see why it can't work.

bolivianbaby

What size tank were you going to grow them out in? I'm growing out 5 HRP's in a 29 gallon atm. They were quite shy for a few weeks. There have been very few squabbles and nothing serious.

I don't see any issue with keeping an HRP and a yellow con in the same tank, either. The only thing I can think of is they might breed.

ccb04

bb ... I would probably use a 29 gallon as well. Are you looking to keep one as a breeding pair and put the others in some of your other tanks?

I've read conflicting info on HRP aggression. Some seem to suggest their temper is relatively tame but conspecific aggression can be an issue. Same with the Cr. Nanoluteus.

If keeping both together, breeding could be a potential issue I would guess as well. Aggression might be an issue with two males, etc. If keeping one of each, I would prefer the same sex to avoid the breeding issue ... though the aggression issue is always possible.

bolivianbaby

Yes, I am crossing my fins BIG TIME for a breeding pair. The others will go in other tanks.

Mine are pretty mellow, but they are young. I have 3 caves and a lot of plastic plants in the tank. That's probably helping with any aggression.

The reason I was thinking breeding might be a problem is because they're so closely related to convicts and convicts breed with ANYTHING. I think if you threw a cat in the tank, they'd find a way to breed with it. Or die trying.

I'm still trying to figure out how to sex mine, but if I come across any information that might help you with sexing, I'll be happy to pass it along to you.

ccb04

bb ... so true about the breeding, lol.

If I wanted to breed one or the other ... I would go the route you went and grow out 4-6 unsexed juvie specimens and hope for a pair.

That is the hard part about the other thing I mentioned ... which is to have a single HRP and a single Cr. Nanoluteus in the same tank. To avoid the potential of breeding ... I would of course need them to be the same sex. That would be near impossible to accomplish with simply ordering one of each, as I typically only see unsexed juvies for sale. Occassionally, I'll see an established pair of one or the other for sale as well. I suppose I would have to buy several specimens of each and let them grow out to accomplish either stocking option.

bb ... if wanting to go with a single HRP and a single Cr. Nano ... what else if anything, do you think could be suitable as tank mates for them?

bolivianbaby

Hmmm...in a 29g, I wouldn't advise adding anything else, but maybe a keyhole cichlid. I do try to give my cichlids "extra tank space" due to them being territorial.

Most cichlids like their own territory, so it would be hard to have a lot of territories in a 29 gallon tank.

Maybe some other members will have some other ideas.

ccb04

So 'maybe'.....

- 1 HRP
- 1 Cr. Nano (yellow con)
- (Possibly) 1 keyhole

Other possibilities I was thinking of besides a Keyhole were a Bolivian ... a Rainbow cichlid ... a school of some kind of Tetra ... or if possible, prehaps some livebearers.

I think your right though ... the HRP and Cr. Nano would likely be enough cichlids in a smaller tank such as a 29g. If keeping just those two ... I would consider using my other 20 gallon long and prehaps adding a school of pristella tetra.

From the limited reading I've done ... some 'profiles' seem to suggest that the HRP has an aggressive temperament and a highly aggressive conspecific temperament. With the Cr. Nanoluteus ... I've seen a peaceful temperament overall, but an aggressive conspecific temperament. Of course, as we know ... it always varies by individuals. I've had aggressive livebearers, etc.

bolivianbaby

I wish I could give you more information for the temperament of the hrp's, but mine are still young.

As far as a rainbow cichlid in a 29g, I'd definitely only do one. I have one in a 29 gallon with a pair of cons and he's doing great. However, when I had two in there, it seemed to me like there wasn't enough swimming space. I'm weird. I don't like my fish swimming into the sides of my tank. It makes me feel like they need more room. A rainbow cichlid can hold his own with JD's, convicts, and an RTS. I know this from experience. They are not instigators at all, though. They just won't allow themselves to be bullied.

ccb04

Thanks, bb. You're always very helpful. I know it can be harder to tell the temperament in some young'uns.

In mentioning the Rainbow ... I would definitely only do one. Similarly to how you have one in with you pair of cons ... I would speaking in terms of having one in with a single HRP and a single Cr. Nanoluteus.

Which of the following 3 do you think would do best with the HRP and Cr. Nano?
- Rainbow
- Keyhole
- Bolivian

BTW ... what's the primary color of your rainbows? I've seen what looked to be orange and blue ... and then others that look to be primarily yellow.

bolivianbaby

Since we're not positive of their temperament, I would say rainbow cichlid. I don't have any personal experience with keyholes, but from my research, I'd put them a close 2nd.

Bolivians, I really don't think would work. If there is any serious aggression, I don't think the bolivians could hold their own. If the other two fish are mellow, a bolivian would be fine, though.

My rainbows are yellow. They're a year or 1 1/2 years old. I haven't researched much on the spawning colors of rainbows, but maybe (I'm not sure) that's where the other colors start showing up.

ccb04

I was kinda thinking the same thing with the Bolivian. Any serious aggression may pose a problem.

Someone posted a video of their Rainbow pair here awhile back. Their's were also yellow ... and I liked the coloration.

I asked about the Bolivian because that's one of the few CA/SA I can could get here locally. Convicts and firemouths being the others that are more readily available. I've found a place where I can order some HRP's and Cr. Nano's ... but they don't have Rainbows or Keyholes. I've yet to find a place that has all the fish I'm considering. If not for the shipping costs ... I'd consider multiple orders all at once.

bolivianbaby

Firemouths may work. I've never had them, either, but my research says they should be okay. I'd only do one of those, too.

I wish my hrp's would spawn. That would resolve the hrp issue.

ccb04

Yeah, prehaps a firemouth would work. Although, they're probably my least favorite of the ones listed; though still very nice.

I've also been trying to locate a 40 gallon long aquarium locally ... to no avail as of yet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
bolivianbaby
Replies
Views
FireflySky
Replies
Views
ccb04
Replies
Views