Homer's Home Depot All purpose 5 gal Buckets

1. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hey all.

So i want to know about how you clean off your 5 gal Buckets from home depot for the first time.

I have only ever used them for removing tank water from the tank never for storing fresh water. I always used the blue Petco buckets but I needed a lot and they are more pricey at like $9 each. Though they are great for storing water, you can partially pop the lid off to vent the buckets.

Anyway they have this strong smell. I guess it's new plastic. But my paranoia keeps saying it's some kind of chemical which will kill my fish. Have you ever noticed this smell for those of you that use them?

For the moment, I am just allowing them to sit full of water, dumping out, wiping down and refilling till the smell is gone. Pretty sure it's just the new plastic but not really wanting to take any chances.

Thoughts on this?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

PI, i've only rinsed with water and used and never had any issues.

3. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Cool, thanks!

4. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I do wonder what the odor means, since something needs to be coming out of the plastic or you wouldn't be smelling anything. Perhaps some residue from the manufacturing process.

I use cat litter buckets for most everything although I have a small 3 gallon bucket I use for pouring water into the smaller tanks.

5. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

They aren't 'food safe', but I don't think it's really a huge deal, I've used many. Rinsing seems like the best option to me as well. BTW firehouse subs has 5 gallon pickle buckets (obv food safe) for only $2 (which goes to charity)

6. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Forgot to add that I just picked up (5) 5 gallon buckets at walmart for $2 a piece, using them around my garden, but this is another option.

EDIT: I think the odor may be some lubricant used so the buckets aren't stuck together due to friction during transportation.

7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

jetajockey - I really like the ideal of the "food safe" pickle buckets and the money going to charity. If only the nearest one wasn't like an hour and a half away haha.
    Rivieraneo - Are the 5gal buckets you picked up at Walmart food-grade? It only says "No Product Contamination". Lots of people on reviews saying they use them for their aquariums though. I'm leery of these Homer Buckets. They'll do fine for the removal of tank water but I'm not feeling so good about the storing of it, my water requires aging. I kind of just want to go grab more Petco buckets haha. They're so, so sturdy and I know they're safe. I'm a sucker who pretty much pays for the words "aquarium safe" on my stuff haha.

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I did not find any markings on the Walmart buckets to indicate that they were food grade safe or pet safe etc.. I would question if the food grade certification transitioned to pet products as well. I'm sure most pet products produced are pet safe, though I would question the containers they are housed in if they are "food safe" containers. i have used buckets before to fill my aquarium back up before I purchased the 5 gallon drinking water safe containers and then made my own version of a python. Here are the containers I bought from my local sporting goods store, they now store emergency camping/drinking water.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/outdoor/hydration+packs+-+water+bottles/300381_0224540.do

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

$18?!?!?! Holy mother. Pretty cool though.

10. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I have used the 5 gallon pickles buckets from firehouse but they take a while to get rid of the vinegar smell. They work well and are sturdy. $2 to local fire house charities is also a plus.

To store water here is what I use....

http://www.petmountain.com/product/aquarium-water-containers/11442-584800/seachem-seachem-hydrotote-water-jug.html

First I love just about anything made by seachem, its made for water and aquariums so you know its safe. It collapses when not in use and has a good handle built in for carrying. I use it to get R/O water from my local grocery store. It is $9 but works great for my purposes, of course I only needed 1.

11. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hmm I kind of like those, same price as the Petco buckets. I'm a little obsessive compulsive, and I like everything to "match" or be symmetrical. I will have a hard time haha with storing water in different containers some in Petco buckets and some in these SeaChem containers. But I do not like to give Petco my money, the one by me is just shameful, so these look like a good option.

Thanks!

I've decided not to use the Home Depot buckets for anything but water removal. I will not be able to sleep at night haha. Although I did actually fill my 29g for the first time with these buckets, but the water wasn't being stored, just transported. I guess I'm going with the SeaChem or more Petco buckets. Which means I have a LOT of extra Homer's buckets haha. Oh well.

What I wouldn't give for a Firehouse Subs nearby...the nearest one is like 90 minutes away toward the airport, which means it'll be a nightmare.

This isn't too bad...
    http://www.amazon.com/Gallon-White-...id=1404508120&sr=8-3&keywords=5+gallon+bucket

EDIT: Petco buckets are one sale right now for $6.74 online. If anyone else is interested, they actually are great buckets. So I'm just going to go with these...unless I can get out to Firehouse Subs. That's my favorite idea.

Thanks again everyone :)