Homemade water change hose

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I like to run my fish water out side for the gardens and gras so heres what hubby fixed up for me.
1) buy a hose that will reach to all your tanks and still reach outside.
2) put a faucet adaptor on one end
3) cut the opposite end off and put a plastic connector like you would use to connect two pieces of water hose(1). This is where you connect the siphon (2)
4) start the water flow by dipping the siphon end in water and letting it run down half way and put the siphon back in the water it will now drain your tank to where you want it. You can put a manual cut off on so you can turn off water flow when you want to and move on to the next tank.
When your done siphoning, take the siphon end off and reel the hose in. attach the faucet adaptor to the kitchen sink, turn the water on and adjust the temperature of the water(I put this end in the bath tub). Use the manual turn off to take this end to a tank to re-fill. Remember to add sufficient dechlor as water is running into the tank. I have never had any problem with my fish doing water changes this way. It's similar to the python except the fishie water doesn't run into my sink(I like recycling it) and the python requires constantly running water for siphoning.
Carol

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That sounds like a great idea!!!

I cant use my python because it wont reach my room and it wont fit the faucet. I have the same syphon as you got in the bottom pic.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yep you can, I justhad rather run my fishie water out where it is helpful instead of into the septic tank
Carol

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
O septic tank, we have sewers by me ;D

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Carol, your husband is a genius.. one of the reasons why I stopped using our Python was the outflow running down in the kitchen sink!!.. with this modification, I can send all that nutrient-rich outflow straight into the plants in our yard.. my refill process though, will have to continue to be done manually, since in the Caribbean, the sun tends to heat the pipes and water on a particularly hot day.. still, one out of two ain't bad, so I'm going to get cracking on doing what modifications I can.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Would it be able to run from an underground room to the outside part of the house?
Tom

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My room is upstairs. I dont think the gravity would be nice to me. MY faucet wont fit the python. its way to small. This house was built in the 1800's and we want to keep it original.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom