Homemade Stand For a 50 gallon? Safe?

AquaticQueen

Well Known
I was looking at this 50 gallon at PetSmart for $250 that had pretty good reviews. My original idea was a 45 gallon ensemble, but the stand is junk, so I decided it wasn't worth it for the money.
Would a homemade stand be safe. It would be made of pine, corner legs would be 2x4". It would be almost like a table but smaller and with 6 legs. I'll try the "sit on the stand to see if it's strong enough" thing. I'll put about 600 lbs on it somehow to make sure it's strong enough.
Would it be Safe?

Mike1995

Well Known
Should be. I think its something like each 2x4 can hold 200lbs. If you need any ideas, king of DIY has a ton of videos on how to make them. Here's a playlist of the videos.

Hope it helps :)

Wrench

Well Known
AquaticQueen said:
I was looking at this 50 gallon at PetSmart for $250 that had pretty good reviews. My original idea was a 45 gallon ensemble, but the stand is junk, so I decided it wasn't worth it for the money.
Would a homemade stand be safe. It would be made of pine, corner legs would be 2x4". It would be almost like a table but smaller and with 6 legs. I'll try the "sit on the stand to see if it's strong enough" thing. I'll put about 600 lbs on it somehow to make sure it's strong enough.
Would it be Safe?
Cinder blocks and o.e.x 3/4in treated plywood as the top. Way cheap and way strong

RonP

Or, you could use ,4 x 4 posts cut to size and glued...if you prefer wood to cinder blocks. Also topped with 3 quarter inch plywood.

Wrench

Well Known
RonP said:
Or, you could use ,4 x 4 posts cut to size and glued...if you prefer wood to cinder blocks. Also topped with 3 quarter inch plywood.
Basically the 3/4 is what's important haha

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Thanks everybody!
You all helped a lot!
So this would work?
Six 2x4s as legs and a 3/4 inch plywood on top, glued or screwed down? I'll probably add some more 2x4s between the stand legs to make it more stable.
Is it safe for the tank and fish to paint the stand? I'll be keeping it in my basement and no one will really see it, but I'd still like it to look nice.

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
AquaticQueen said:
Thanks everybody!
You all helped a lot!
So this would work?
Six 2x4s as legs and a 3/4 inch plywood on top, glued or screwed down? I'll probably add some more 2x4s between the stand legs to make it more stable.
Is it safe for the tank and fish to paint the stand? I'll be keeping it in my basement and no one will really see it, but I'd still like it to look nice.
I don think that would be the greatest of stands, could fail without more support on the top? Make sure it is level with one of those rulers that have the bubble in them.

Maybe check my tank build thread out and get inspiration from the stand I built, but on a larger scale?

Mhamilton0911

Well Known
Building a stand isn't hard, but if you've never built anything before you might have troubles. Every measurement, and each cut must be exact, even the tiniest difference will translate to either a wobble, or uneven/unlevel tank. You should also check the floor for levelness where you're placing it, if it's in a basement with concrete, you might not be level to start, which depending on severity might make building a level stand more tricky. It's still doable though, especially if you have access to the right tools and or someone knowledgeable in carpentry to assist. I wouldn't trust the home depot/Lowe's people to make exact cuts.

Rcslade124

Well Known
All you need is corner braces and a couple center braces inside the top frame. So 6 corner 2x4 in corners and then the top frame that's 2x4 put a couple to support the bottom of tank. Leaving room under to store stuff.

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
FinalFins said:
I don think that would be the greatest of stands, could fail without more support on the top? Make sure it is level with one of those rulers that have the bubble in them.

Maybe check my tank build thread out and get inspiration from the stand I built, but on a larger scale?
I took a look at your thread yesterday, and I was actually considering building something like it. Thanks!

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Just make sure it is 100% level. You can usually get metal stands for around 100 dollars. Check a dedicated lfs if you have one or amazon or whatever. petco has one for 40 gallon and 55 gallon both under $80 and well reviewed. You can buy them directly from petco or amazon. Don't blame me if they fail ;)

OP
AquaticQueen

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Mike1995 said:
Should be. I think its something like each 2x4 can hold 200lbs. If you need any ideas, king of DIY has a ton of videos on how to make them. Here's a playlist of the videos.

Hope it helps :)
I'll probably do this! Thank you!

New Threads