Homemade Sponge Filter

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by cameronpalte, Apr 20, 2012.

1. c

cameronpalte Valued Member Member

Ok, so my fry looked like they really needed a filter in their tank (and after leaving this on overnight look so much better) but I couldn't find a sponge filter without ordering online and waiting for shipping. So I innovated. I took one of my medium size whisper 100 bags with no carbon but the clip, and wiggled some material out from under the clip (ruined one bag in the process).

I then inserted the intake tube for my Aqueon 10, the filter for the 10g. I set it up and watched for a few minutes and no fry got in the whisper bag. What do you guys think of all this?

I think this really worked well, because my fry (~20 guppy fry) used to always stay at the top of the tank, but now they are swimming around a lot more and enjoying there habitat:). The heater also seems to be working better because water is being set more near the heater.

The current as the water comes out from the top (100gph) seems to be a little strong for them but they seem pretty fine. Also there food (hikari first bites) some of it stays at the top which is moved around by the filter, but I can work on fixing that.

My only question (for now) is can I put some absorbed carbon in the filter bag even though it'll be directly in the water without being separated via. filter to help clean water some more?

I'll try to include some pictures soon:).

Try to share any opinions and thanks!

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

If you have the filter bag over the intake, and put activated carbon in it, then you risk the filter sucking up carbon.

Yes, as long as the carbon is in the water it is working.

If you are trying to filter out particulates in the water, then a polishing pad is what you need.

A sponge filter uses an air pump - the rising bubbles create a vacuum beneath them, drawing in water through the sponge.

3. OP
    OP
    c

It works well as a filter because I put the bag around the Aqueon 10 and then when I plug in the Aqueon 10 it runs at full speed without the fry getting sucked up and has activated carbon bag inside so it still works to remove but I thought extra carbon would help.

4. Jaysee

You are describing a prefilter :) Most people use a sponge, but it's really the same difference. IME fry don't get sucked into the filter under normal conditions.

Carbon's primary function is to remove stuff you can't see.

5. OP
    OP
    c

Ok. Since that is carbons primary function would it be ok to put some carbon inside my sponge or bag so it gets like this

activated carbon - filter - activated carbon - bacteria - tank

6. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Why are there two layers of Carbon though? If there is already carbon in the filter chamber then what you're describing is pointless.

7. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Also many members don't use carbon at all, except to remove medication from the water.

8. OP
    OP
    c

Ok thanks for the advice. I was wondering the bag seems to already be getting slightly dirty because lose particles will get trapped generally as there entering the filter so how often should I clean it?

9. Jaysee

I have a sponge prefilter on a couple of my tanks. Honestly, I never clean them, but the bioloads in the tanks are very low.

If you notice the water flow seems diminished, then you should clean it.

10. i

iZaO Jnr Well Known Member Member

Any prefilter pads/sponges i use i squeeze out and rinse once a week in tap water. I dont rely on this filter media for biological filtration, so i use the tap water.

Keeping it clean will maximise the filter flow speed and also the efficiency at which it catches particles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice