Question Homemade liverock?

timon4

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so I decided i'm not buying anymore live rock, I purchased 20 lbs, and was floored by the price. So, I am making my own, I have the ingrediance and instructions, hopefully it turns out, Im making it now, my question is how the heck do I cure it after it soaks all the rock salt out, and do i have to make my own? My local pet store sells this fake rock that seems to be quite poreous. Could I purchase it and somehow cure it with my already live rock? any help would be greatly appreciated. I plan to make my own rock somehow, and once it is established I plan to take before and after pictures so everyone thinking about making their own rock can see what established homemade rock looks like. Thanks

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There really is no other than LR because it is more poreus than any other! I'm not saying it can be done but the time and effort is more than can be said. curing it can be very tricky and if put in DT tank can be a big problem> Buy a few pieces of LR till you have enough to build your tank there is nothing like natural!! I would suggest buying rubble and using it in a sump if no sump start looking for one. Or I can build you one!!!!

timon4

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well I decided to try and build my own anyways, Ive made three good size pieces and I'm curing them now, once cured I will seed them with a already thriving live rock and if it works i will explain what I did and the items I used to make it along with photos.

klynne_28

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feel your pain on the price of rock. Just bought 44 pounds and it was painful, and I still need at least that much more. Keep us updated on how the homemade rocks work out!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom