Homemade dog food Chica's story

Brizburk

Notice - very long post. If all you want to know about is the dog food, scroll to the bottom for the BalanceIt website review

Edited to note: I'm not looking for advice, just sharing my dogs story.

have 3 dogs. A 6 yro Great Pyrenees and two 16yro Chinese Crested - hairless.

My Cresteds (I call them The Littles) are litter mates, I adopted them when they were 10 years old knowing that the boy has a heart condition. He has a major heart condition known as congestive heart failure or CHF. About a year ago his sister collapsed and stopped breathing. Being hairless I could see she was turning blue. She began breathing on her own but by that time I was mostly dressed and rushing her to the nearest vet clinic, one I'd never been to before. I burst through the doors and interrupted everyone and headed right to the only person wearing a lab coat. I stated "she collapsed and turned blue!".

The woman in the lab coat rushed to us and took her repeating "turned blue?"

I said "yes." And the woman on the lab coat took my little dog into the back to do an exam

A few very long minutes later and I was called into the back. The woman in the lab coat introduced herself as Dr. Emry and began to explain what caused Chica's collapse. Congestive heart failure.

Well heck

After starting her medications, several of them, Chica bounces back and her bloodwork is good, fluid off of her lungs and shes back to her happy self.

Fast forward almost a year later.... about 11am Chica has a full on seizure. I call the vet and they say I can bring her in. They do blood work. Kidney failure.

Well Heck.

Prescription diet for Chica. Great I get an additional complication. Ok Lets see how this goes. Chica and her brother Guido both have food allergies and can't eat grains without explosive diarrhea. Whats the main ingredient on all this prescription diet - grain. Oddly enough Chica does ok on it. I however cannot keep her brother from eating it. Another vet checkup and we discuss Guido eating the food. The doctor says he should be fine eating some of Chica's food and to make sure he eats regular dog food as well. Ok I can do that. Guido ends up with explosive diarrhea. Great. Back to the vet. I found a prescription diet from a smaller company that has a grain free kidney diet. I request a prescription from the vet. Nope. The only brands are Royal Canin, Hills Science Diet and Purina. I told the tech who was the middle man between speaking with me and the doctor, The Royal Canin isn't working and I will not feed Hills or Purina anything. I need more option. Nope. Those three are the only three the Dr knows well enough to give a prescription.

Ugh!

"So what am I going to have to do make it?" I said sarcastically to the vet tech.

"You could do that. We work with a website called BalanceIt quite often."

I stood there thinking to myself, what the heck it can't hurt to look. So I went home and got on the BalanceIt website and looked through the site. It's different, takes a bit of learning but I was able to locate the custom recipe and input my dog's health issue of kidney failure and I get a pop up saying I need a veterinary approval.

Great.

Three days later "approved by vet, view your pet's recipe" was the email I got. Holy ! They have my dog's name, weight, body condition score and there it is, a list of recipes! Wow! Time to go shopping. The supplement cost $73 USD, I opted for free shipping which stated 3-4 weeks but was shipped from California via UPS, I'm thinking "shoot I'm in Washington I bet it arrives in a week." You know it!! A week later I've got my supplement! Ok Costco time. I spent $80 and got a big ol bag of costco dog food (my big dog and Guido), bulk rice, bulk frozen string beans (chica loves and its in the recipe) big bag of frozen chicken breasts, summer squash/zucchini, got me a big bag of Cuties (I eat them like candy).

Wow! so much less $$$ than the prepared prescription diets.

BalanceIt website review.

Warning - this website is not optimized for a tablet or a phone. Use a computer! on that note they are working to change that. So I was able to pretty easily enter my dogs needs and swap out corn oil for walnut oil (the system tells you what oils work for your dog's condition). I got my recipe and chose not to print it. Mistake! Always save and print, even if you're printing to PDF file because once you have your veterinary approved recipe, you cannot easily access it again. I learned this, so did BalanceIt. The wonderful woman who called me after I sent them an email learned something new about the system as well and I'm certain they will be fixing these issues as well. I learned that the website was originally created for veterinary use only and they've found that its quite helpful to the rest of us pet owners as well so they have opened it up for everyone, and are working out the bugs. This is how I learned that to use the website you really need to do so from a computer. It's a huge site with a lot of adjustability that takes time to learn (for me anyway). I'm so incredibly impressed with the website and everyone behind it that I can't give enough stars of approval! Not only do I have a dog food that works amazingly well for my Chica, her brother can eat it minus the supplement of course. You don't have to have a dog with health issues, this website works amazingly well for healthy dogs to. For my three dogs BalanceIt is my number one choice.

Jojo my Great Pyrenees has been amazing through all this, she's tough as nails and no health issues, no food allergies, can eat anything. So she gets some chicken and rice too, along with her kibble.

Ok long post over. Thx for reading. I'd love to hear your experiences with BalanceIt or other difficult dites

juniperlea

Skip the rice. I toss out leftover moldy food for critters, and they all, including raccoons, refuse the rice. Dogs are not vegetarian. They need meat. Same thing with cats..... why is rice included in the food formula? I've never witnessed a dog or cat eat rice or potatoes. Wait, there was the yellow lab who ate everything within eyesight .... he was like a goldfish!

Brizburk

Can't. She's in kidney failure. She needs to eat. It's a very tricky diet.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • AJ34
  • Dog
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
  • stopwhiningsadie
  • Dog
Replies
Views
stopwhiningsadie