Homemade Betta Food Question

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by LagerthaM, May 24, 2019.

1. LagerthaM Valued Member Member

I am thinking about dabbling in making homemade betta food but I am not sure what I should put in it? I was thinking mysis shrimp, blood worms and beef heart but I don't know what else? Any ideas?

2. Victoria99 Valued Member Member

I have no idea, but I'd really like to know this too

3. ystrout Well Known Member Member

Well Betta Buffet pellets contain salmon, herring, shrimp, a few different wheat and similar fillers, and halibut. I'd copy that. I would also try putting some bugs and fish in there as fish eat tons of bugs in their natural habitat. Also add some garlic for flavor. Fish LOVE garlic.

If I were making a food, I'd stick with fish, shrimps, and bugs and give them bloodworms and Mysis separate since frozen food is so easy to come by. People always say bloodworms are too rich, whatever that means. Maybe too much protein and fat? They're the staple of my puffers' diet, along with snails and shrimp My betta gets quite a few bloodworms too. Maybe it's just too much protein and fat for omnivores but is great for carnivores? I don't know...

4. LagerthaM Valued Member Member

I was thinking about buying those frozen breaker packs that hikari makes and sells and combining a bunch of them together to make cubes of a sort. Maybe even add beef hearts, I have heard that bettas love those!

5. Noroomforshoe Valued Member Member

Just my opinion - but i dont think its a good idea to unthaw the frozen foods and freeze them again.
    I also dont think you should make cubes if you are feeding it to a single betta alone in a tank. A betta need about 3 -4 blood worms a day

You could put a bucket of water outside, check for mosquito larvae. , and when you find some, you can scoop that up and freeze it.

6. gorejusdesign Valued Member Member

I make snail jello cubes for my mystery snails that my betta loves to pick at with them.

7. Victoria99 Valued Member Member

Hmmm...
    With horses, they say that alfalfa is really "rich." It's very concentrated with lots of nutrients, and very sweet. Horses have very delicate stomachs and have to be weaned on and off of it slowly when using it in their diet. Some horses' stomachs are so sensitive that they can't even have it. So I wonder if bloodworms are like that or something. Where they're super concentrated in nutrients, or are maybe super sweet and like candy.