Homemade Betta Food

1. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Interested in making my own food for my bettas. I'd like to provide them with a varied diet. Does anybody have any recipes they could share?

2. BeanFish Well Known Member Member

For my corydoras (which are carnivores) I just put shrimp/fish in the blender and add garlic. I add just enough water so it is blendable and then I freeze it. If you feed that inmediatly after you blended it chances are you will cloud the water. Once freezed I just defrost it a bit and throw it in the tank, with the freezing method there is no cloudiness and I havent seen any side effects from the fish eating it frozen, probably because the fish fillets dont soak water well.
    Since bettas are also carnivores (technically insectivores but you get it, not a lot of vegetable matter in their diet) I would look to do a similar mix. You can try adding bird vitamins to the food too to make it more nutritious.

DIY fish food isnt exactly giving variety since pellets and flakes are also made out of fish, but the benefits of DIY fish food is that there are no fillers like soy, wheat, it is fresh and it is cheap. If you want variety I would look into daphnia or stuff like grindal worms which arent hard to cultivate.

3. Bailey Oswald Well Known Member Member

Alright, thanks! I still think I'll try my own food for the reason of not many fillers. Already looking into daphnia. I'll look into the worms.