Home remodeling what to do with…

PerfectPH

I am in need of some advice regarding moving my 75 gallon tank. Issue is we are remodeling our living room as you can see in the photo we have removed all the carpet around the aquarium. I do not have a rescue tank as we live in a small home and I have (4) cats. They can find a way to get into just about anything!
I must move this tank soon to put in new flooring and redo the walls. I have delayed already to long. What do I do with my fish? I only have 4 fish total in this tank 1 guppy and 3 Rainbow fish. The entire tank will have to be drained and left empty for probably a week or more. Since it takes so long to cycle a tank I am afraid to dump the water. The most water change I have ever done on these fish was a 50% once and that was because of an emergency situation. Best advice?

Also one other question how do you all move your tanks when needed? Is there any hacks or tricks instead of draining? Probably not due to weight but you never know. Thanks

Attachments

• B29431A4-E89C-4A10-B289-3ED078CBA889.jpeg
    B29431A4-E89C-4A10-B289-3ED078CBA889.jpeg
    221.1 KB · Views: 10

PeterFishKeepin

could you perhaps fill up some 5-10gal buckets and put fish in, drain tank and then move tank to porch or backyarf other part of house for the week? refill tank and allow it to stay cycled?

Flyfisha

Hey PerfectPH

The way I read your post it seems to me you don’t have a modern understanding of how the bacteria cycle works. In the last 30 years it’s been found that bacteria in a cycled tank live on hard surfaces. Mostly ON the filter but also ON the glass,wood , rocks,ornaments and on the gravel. Changing 100% of the water will not effect the cycle in any way. As long as all the hard surfaces remain damp.
However a 100% water change is very hard on the fish and a 50% is considered less likely to shock the fish with different parameters.
Almost no bacteria live permanently IN the water.

Even with two strong people you will need to remove that rock and 99% of the water. Remove whatever you can pick up easily. The gravel could stay ?

Move the tank to another spot in the house that has an electric outlet/ socket. The fish go in a bucket of their tank water for an hour or so while you move the tank . Take as much old water as possible using any containers cups etc etc.
If you can keep 35 gallons you can top the tank up with fresh temperature matched conditioned water. If you can’t then only add double whatever you could save. In other words if you have enough containers for 25 gallons add another 25 gallons of fresh water. After 3 or 4 hours you can add more fresh water by which time the fish have adjusted to the slightly different parameters.

Having changed 45% of the water in my own tanks 3 times in one day I can assure you the bacteria will not be effected. Changing water multiple times in one day is a way to trigger spawning/( breeding) that is nothing to worry about if the rainbows dance for you.

I hope you filter can work with 50 or 60 gallons? If not you will have to buy a large food grade bucket or similar. Enough buckets or tubs to hold 35 ish gallons.

The only drawback is you can then set up a fish tub permanently sometime in the future.?

Having moved multiple small tanks and four 55 gallon tanks I can tell you definitely don’t try moving a tank with 4 inches of water. My experience has been a wave starts going back and forth and gets bigger and bigger. It’s very difficult to stop the wave of water. At least that has been my experience with two foot tanks that I can hold on my own. A 75 is just going to be to heavy for humans.

WRWAquarium

What flyfisha said.

I moved my 4ft tank recently. There is no way it could be moved with any water or hard scape, I took out most of the gravel too. Took 2 of us to pick it up safely.

PerfectPH

Hey PerfectPH

The way I read your post it seems to me you don’t have a modern understanding of how the bacteria cycle works. In the last 30 years it’s been found that bacteria in a cycled tank live on hard surfaces. Mostly ON the filter but also ON the glass,wood , rocks,ornaments and on the gravel. Changing 100% of the water will not effect the cycle in any way. As long as all the hard surfaces remain damp.
However a 100% water change is very hard on the fish and a 50% is considered less likely to shock the fish with different parameters.
Almost no bacteria live permanently IN the water.

Even with two strong people you will need to remove that rock and 99% of the water. Remove whatever you can pick up easily. The gravel could stay ?

Move the tank to another spot in the house that has an electric outlet/ socket. The fish go in a bucket of their tank water for an hour or so while you move the tank . Take as much old water as possible using any containers cups etc etc.
If you can keep 35 gallons you can top the tank up with fresh temperature matched conditioned water. If you can’t then only add double whatever you could save. In other words if you have enough containers for 25 gallons add another 25 gallons of fresh water. After 3 or 4 hours you can add more fresh water by which time the fish have adjusted to the slightly different parameters.

Having changed 45% of the water in my own tanks 3 times in one day I can assure you the bacteria will not be effected. Changing water multiple times in one day is a way to trigger spawning/( breeding) that is nothing to worry about if the rainbows dance for you.

I hope you filter can work with 50 or 60 gallons? If not you will have to buy a large food grade bucket or similar. Enough buckets or tubs to hold 35 ish gallons.

The only drawback is you can then set up a fish tub permanently sometime in the future.?

Having moved multiple small tanks and four 55 gallon tanks I can tell you definitely don’t try moving a tank with 4 inches of water. My experience has been a wave starts going back and forth and gets bigger and bigger. It’s very difficult to stop the wave of water. At least that has been my experience with two foot tanks that I can hold on my own. A 75 is just going to be to heavy for humans.
Thank you for this info and I did not understand the cycling completely as you stated. I have a large canister filter so I will just get some food grade buckets and transfer as much water from the tank and put back in until we get it set up temporarily. As to where I’m going to put it for the time being is unknown as we have no extra space.
I had no plan of moving the tank with water in it and wanted to removed as much out as possible due to the amount of weight involved.
I am very concerned as I seem to be losing fish one by one recently yet my water parameters are all within normal limits. But that’s another discussion.
Let me ask you this can I put my aquarium decor in buckets with the original tank water to maintain bacteria?
Thanks for the helpful information!

AddictedAquarist

When I have to move tanks, I typically would advise setting up a 2nd tank to move too. Since that's not an option I would buy a nice Rubbermaid bin, drill holes in the top and mount the filter/heater as best you can. Add 75% water from the tank and 25% freshwater. Also transferring Decor and Substrate to the bin will help keep your cycle active. Another step depending on available time, would be to add some sponges to the tank for the next few days and keep them in the tub to further increase the bacteria load in the temporary tub. Bonus points if you use a lid with locking handles to prevent feline and fish friends from interacting!
Another point of interest, as I have been setting up a fish room for the last 3 months. Buying the suction cup handles from Amazon have been amazingly helpful. Me and a friend have moved tanks up to 150g with sand still in the tank. (Albeit that was a struggle).

Flyfisha

Yes PerfectPH keeping ornaments wet in buckets is going to keep whatever bacteria are on them alive.
Don’t forget plastic bags hold water temporarily.

You would not be the first person to have a fish tank in the bathroom.

The bacteria in question are quite hard to kill.
Do not use this time as the opportunity to clean anything. The temptation is to clean the glass and clean the gravel to wipe things clean with a cloth. Don’t do that at this time.

PerfectPH

Thanks AddictedAquariust and Flyfisha for the tips and advice. Looks like I’ve got a plan in place and preparing to get started with confidence. Thank you again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jaysurf7
Replies
Views
Jellibeen
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views