Home made upsidown tank questions and advice Important

1. atmosink Initiate Member

I am working on my first fish tank a upside-down.I am working on overcoming very specific problem first is finding a water pump that pumps from a 3/8 type clear hose i could not find any so I had to modify a pond pump in to a vacuum type pump.

Why do I need this well I am trying to make a upside-down typ of tank but with a bubble I have made at work for the top. I would like to suck the air out of the top as I keep my air pump running i have see other just reciculat the same air that is int it but i do not wanna saturate my tank with co2 as u can see I do not have much room for diverting my old air so i may make use of the fountain function to help add new air to the tank i have many other obsticuls like filtration that i am working on but i may just make some other pvc pipes and tun them in to a 3 stage inline external filter system ill post pic's as I finish up this project and hopefully if all works well i will upscale with a more stuning design.

I would like any help i can get in this project for info the botom tank is made out of 12x12x 1/2" vivack plastic and so is the top bubble. tonight i attached the 4 stands with silicone and i am unsure if it will be strong enough to hold the bubble tank time will tell.

Picture's are on my photo's on profile

Attached Files:

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you should have a moderator move this to the DIY section - you're more likely to get responses there, I think. :)
    I don't know what an upside-down tank is, but it sounds pretty awesome. If you have a sketch or a pic, I'd love to see it.

Welcome to fishlore! :)

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

It's am aquariumin which the top is glass and the bottom is open. Essentially, you'd take your tank and turn it uside down and attach it above a larger tankso that the open top of the bottom is facing the open bottom of the top. The air is pumped out and water is replaced, filling the upside down tank.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWknp5iXCMU

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

That's very cool. It seems like the bottom would be like an indoor pond? I could only dream of owning something like this...

5. atmosink Initiate Member

My project is smaller than that at this time but my goal it to make my fish tank the center piece of the room not the space filler in the corner imaging a tank where the bubble come from the ground to your face with no corners 360 view of your fish. agen this one is my small scale concept 1st atempt

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

7. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

If I ever leave my husband, I'm moving in with one of you so I can live in a house with a really cool tank.

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Are you going to silicone the top tank to the bottom one?

I've thought about doing the uside down tank as well. I imagine you'd fill the bottom tank and then pump the air out and not add anymore water. Otherwise, if the vaccuum is broken, the water would empty into the bottom tank and spill over. Yes?

9. atmosink Initiate Member

the on in the video is much easier cause of size mine is alote smaller and a new twist to the concept but i have no where to hide stuff at the top hehe so still debugging what i am going to do when I finish it

10. atmosink Initiate Member

no i am not going to silicone the top tank i need to trim the side so it fits in to the bottom one and rest on the 4 stands that i silicon-ed in to the bottom tank to night.I will use the pump i modified to hopefully pull out air bubble after i fill the top tank via a modified whisper air pump that now sucks air instead of pumps it.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

How many gallons do you estimate your two tanks to be, and how many gallons of water will be in the system?

Though I guess the flood would be averted as long as the water level never fell below the bottom of the top tank.

12. atmosink Initiate Member

at this point I am un-sure the botom tanke is made of 12x12 x 1/2 thick plastic so at lest a little less than 1 cubic foot for the bottom tank this is my first try at this my day job is a orthotic and prosthetic tech . the upper tank should be a little less by volume I decided to add supports to the shelf's i put in . in this picture the bottom is upside down I have not attached the bottom yet so i can still fine-tune and clean up easier. I real have no clue what i am doing just had this ideal in my heaD

Attached Files:

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Ahhhhhhh, I understand now what you're trying to do and really like it - the top piece is awesome!

I have a few things for you to think about (I have a background in physics). The top piece must be able to fit inside the bottom, with enough left over surface area to fascilitate the O2-CO2 exchange. I would suggest getting a much larger bottom tank - something like a 20long. They are like $30 at petsmart. I would fix supports inside the bottom tank, so that the top can rest on it. I would put ledges inside the top part to catch the supports - the opposite of what you've done. It'll be better supported and sturdier that way, not to mention a heck of a lot easier to maintain.

The bottom of the top part will need to be several inches below the top of the bottom tank. Since it'll be tough to have a regular hood, the bottom tank may be open on top. If that's the case, water will evaporate faster and the water level in the bottom tank will drop faster. If it drops below the bottom of the top tank, the water in the top comes crashing down into the bottom tank. The more the top part is inside the bottom, the less the chance for disaster. If it's only a couple inches, you'd better be johnny on the spot with more water

Now, if you fill the bottom tank and then pump the air out of the top and DON'T add any more water to the system and the water comes crashing down it'll stay contained in the bottom tank, except for a little splash. If you instead fill the bottom tank so that both the bottom AND the top are full, BE SURE that the water level for the bottom never drops below the bottom of the top, or all the water in the top will pour over the sides of the bottom and onto your floor.

In fact, that's exactly how I'm going to do mine - a 10 on top of a 20L.

14. atmosink Initiate Member

thank you for oyu advice the picture above the bottom tank is upside down and tomarrow im shaving off some of the bottom of the top tank so it fits on the shelfs so it will be 3" below the brim of the main tank with the reinforcement underneath them lol it up side down atm cause the silicone is drying and im probably going to make a hiden tank inside the stand with a water bottle like the kind you would find at work in a small tank with all my air going in it to keep my water lvls the same at all times.

or i may just go crazy and work a fountain in to the top or the dome and let the water oxygenated that way and would look neat but lots of ideals ill be updating this till its done i will need advice on fish after i get the tank stabilized and leak free

15. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. Welcome to Fish Lore Atmosink. :animal0068:I have moved your thread to the DIY section of the forum. It may help you to get more responses and to help others down the road should they want to try the same project.
    Thanks! Best of luck!
    Ken

16. atmosink Initiate Member

Ok UPDATE I finish gluing the tank i really need more exp with silicon hehe but i think this s not bad for my 1st project ever for a fish tank.

I bought some item to make my filter and my air system for the tank to day i figur my best bet at keeping air out of the bubble .... is to keep air out of the tank im gonna to have a completely external filter and air system but simplified it going to be from tank to filter throw the pump in to a tum where i have a air hose hooked up and then back into the tank with the o2 rich clean water i hope it works :) ill post photos tomorrow after i finish up and stat testing out my tank ill also try and see how many gallons the tank is

Attached Files:

17. atmosink Initiate Member

OK i need help tryign keep air out of the bubble and filter the tank good any ideal my pump i made works ok cept when i atach it to my filter system it dosnt work haha here is the tank now

Attached Files:

18. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

19. atmosink Initiate Member

Finished !!!!

OK so I have gone about this thinking hmmm I need a good water pump to get the air outa of the top... nope I got one of those LED air lights and ran the hose to the top of my bubble and look up more info the fact is the water is not under presure or even trying to get out it is happy right where it is it's the air that wants in so... i want it out this system seem to be working well i have seen people on here use a wisper and u dont need to u can use a power head point the air away from the upsidedown tank .I went with a fluval 150 for my filter.

The end result is amazing now im waiting for it to be fish ready I put bamboo in the middle and also so it look realy cool i just need a better base for it.. next will be the full scale version woot.

So What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

20. ghotiguy Initiate Member

do you know how to make a venturi system? what you need to do is have some tubing go to the top of the bubble. (you can hide it with drift wood or plants) this tubing will pull all the air out the bubble you have made. it doesn't matter if it it co2 or air this tubing will pull it out if it is hook to the pump with a venturi system. when there is no air in the bubble you made it will then help circulate the water in the bubble. (just keep the pump moving water away from the bubble this way the air removed will not travel back into the bubble. you can also regulate an air pump to send fresh air to the bubble as long as the pump can remove it fast than it fills up.
    good luck and i hope this helps