Home Made Root Tabs ?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by yukondog, Apr 15, 2018.

1. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

I'm going to make my own root tabs, I have Osmocote Plus, all I need now is capsules. How many to a planted tank and how often? tanks are mod. planted some heavily planted.

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

I am curious why you would want to make your own

3. OP
    OP
    yukondog

I guess because I can, I never gave it much thought.

4. BaraYoukai

BaraYoukai Valued Member Member

Totally an awesome idea in my opinion.

5. troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Placement depends on the tank footprint and plants.

A good rule of thumb for moderate root feeders 1 gel cap every 1/2 foot. So a 40 breeder would take about 8. They last at least 3 months sometimes 6 months.

You can buy a bag of a 1000 size 00 gel caps for $10 on eBay.

Not worth it to make it IMO when you can buy a 100 for $6 also on eBay that will last you years in the tank mentioned above. Even a small bottle of Osmocote will make roughly a 1000 root tabs.

Full disclose I make and sell them. If you are thinking about selling the one you don’t want the profit margin is very little say less than $.50 for every 100. I buy in bulk and still only make $.75 for each sale that’s after 10-15 to make each 100.

Better to buy imo.

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't spread them throughout my tanks. I put them below the root feeding plants that need them. Usually 3-4 underneath big and heavy root feeders, like Amazon swords, and 1 below other plants (or 1-3 below a close group of plants).

I add more every few months, or whenever I notice that the plant might need them.

I make my own.

7. OP
    OP
    yukondog

Well I'm going to give it a shot, I'll go by Evermans tomorrow to get the gel caps. Thanks for the reply's.

8. DarkOne

DarkOne Well Known Member Member

It's cheaper and better than Flourish or API root tabs. Osmocote Plus also lasts about twice as long (or more).

9. troyvsc

troyvsc Well Known Member Member

Good luck. You can order the gel caps online in varying quantities. Have fun.

10. OP
    OP
    yukondog

I got the gel caps locally at Evermans health store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice