Home-made garlic stuff?

armadillo
HI guys/gals

I can't get a hold of garlic guard. Do you think it would be OK to just rub garlic on my betta's pellets or flakes, or is pure garlic far too acidic? Also, clove oil is a euthanazor, so do you think it could overdose on it?

Am thinking of maybe squeezing the garlic on top of a portion of flakes, or even of leaving a clove in the food pot for flavoring?

Dino
It should be ok.
I have fed straight minced garlic to fish and they gobble it up like candy.

I usually use the juice off a jar to minced garlic on flake, when I need to use garlic.

COBettaCouple
Yea.. what Dino said.

i'm not sure what you're asking about the clove oil. it will cause a fish to go to sleep and in an overdose will euthanise a fish.

armadillo
Great stuff!
It should be ok.
I have fed straight minced garlic to fish and they gobble it up like candy.

I usually use the juice off a jar to minced garlic on flake, when I need to use garlic.

armadillo
But, isn't clove oil = garlic oil? That's why I worried as am thinking of experimenting with garlic, but don't want to kill my fish.
Yea.. what Dino said.

i'm not sure what you're asking about the clove oil. it will cause a fish to go to sleep and in an overdose will euthanise a fish.

Dino
Cloves and garlic are two different plants.

armadillo
ha haaaaaa! That's what confused me. Right, I'll look clove up. Good good. That means garlic = totally safe.

COBettaCouple
yea, you can have a clove of garlic, but it's nothing to do with clove oil. garlic is great for the fish.

Tazmiche
A question I have been meaning to ask but always forget, you've jogged my memory!

WHY do they have garlic guard? Why garlic? My horse has galic supplements in her feed, for general wellbeing but mainly because flies don't like the taste when they bite the horse, it really helps.

So is it for a general supplement?

Dino
Garlic has properties that fight infections.

Sabi
Garlic has properties that fight infections.
yes. and its good for humans and most animals too!

Tazmiche
So just rub a garlic clove over a pellet enough? or soak food in pressed garlic juice and if so how long?
Rosie pony always reaks of the stuff! and then she licks my face!! NICE

Dino
Just pouring the juice over flakes/pellets should do it.

Tazmiche
ty

COBettaCouple
soaking the food in the juice gives you the bonus of having them puff up before the fish eat them, but either way works.

armadillo

Rosie pony always reaks of the stuff! and then she licks my face!! NICE

Tazmiche
They had garlic soaked bloodworms tonight, went down a treat!! Thanks guys!

armadillo
Coooool! I'll have to give it a go when I have a sec!

COBettaCouple
betta ambrosia!

Tazmiche
lol.....aren't they spoilt!! mind I made a spanish dish tonight, lots of garlic, the house stinks!!!!!

COBettaCouple
I think they expect to be spoiled too.

mfs555
Hi,

I've heared that Pure Garlic juice is helpful for the fish. So I soak my NLS pallets in homemade garlic juice and then feed them..... they apprently like it more this way I noticed.. the only reason I started this because I'm in the process of getting rid of ich which started ciuple of days ago???
Did any one of tried this???? and how helpful is this????

psalm18.2
Lots of people post about this. They get minced garlic in a jar and pour juice over food. I've never tried it myself.

Team Omega-3
I get a little aquarium water, crush some garlic in a press, and mix. Then, I let a few pellets soak in it for a few minutes, and feed.

The first time I tried garlic, I crushed a garlic clove then put it in the tank. The Danio's reaction was priceless, like a child's reaction to green beans! LOL

azazelsfyre
My betta's reaction to ANYTHING garlic.

cm11599ps
A product like Kent Garlic Xtreme is good for this purpose. Not only will garlic improve fish health but it can also be used to entice certain fish that are picky eaters.

mfs555
I know seriously.... i've noticed all of my fish they luv it when I soak pallets in pure garlic juice.... I just crushed garlic and take out its juice... and mix it with little bit water....

Roscoe Jackson
Some foods have garlic in them. This is easier than soaking food in garlic oil. Garlic is also good for fish that have had,or do have intestinal parasites. As well as getting picky eaters to take a new kind of food.

iloveengl
It works great for some of my fishies, but for my betta, I have to throw in a few frozen bloodworms with the mix to make the juice taste better... if you call that better... hehe

mosaicguppy
My bettas love it! they gobble it down so quick!

Aquarist
Good morning,

Using garlic juice that you make yourself is a great idea! Garlic is an immune system booster and food enhancer for your fish.

Since we are on the subject of garlic, here is a link on how to make your own garlic juice:
"Benefits of garlic:

Purifies blood; detoxifies; lowers cholesterol levels; lowers blood pressure; blood thinner; prevents blood clots; boost immune system; prevents heart disease and strokes; destroys cancer cells; muscle relaxant; antibiotic; antifungal; suppresses growth of tumors
Using a medium size bulb; peel cloves apart, snip off ends; microwave cloves for 5 to 10 seconds to pop hulls; remove hulls; cut the length of the cloves in thin slices; place in cup of hot (from tap) water; cover, and let sit at room temperature for 12 hrs; mash the cloves and strain for immediate use; refrigerate until needed. good for two to three weeks.
The longer the cloves soak, the stronger the solution."

The information above comes from the link below:

I use Garlic Guard routinely for my fish. Twice a week. Link below:

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...r-just-an-example-for-those-needing-it.62705/

Too, Vita Chem for additional vitamins is also good:

Best wishes for your fish!

Ken:;ps

jetajockey
NLS pellets actually have garlic in them already, the Thera+A line has an extra boost of garlic on top of that. Just as an fyi.

mfs555
thanks guys..... always been a great help......have a wonderful holidays.....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
oscarmk
Replies
Views
Jordanlp
Replies
Views
Cichlidnut
Replies
Views