Home made aquarium stand for 65 gallon seaclear

smitte1
Hey guys there's a 65 gallon seaclear acrylic aquarium at a local thrift store that I really wana buy looks barly used but it has no stand.

Any suggestions on a stand that's not 450.00 (I looked it up) I was thinking maby a 2x4 box and plywood top would that be strong enough. Or what are some of your ideas thanks guys.

LyndaB
The water alone would weigh approximately 543 pounds, give or take. Then you have the tank, equipment, inhabitants and decor weight. How much do you trust your building skills?

jwhorner6
There are some blue prints online at various sites that will get you a stand strong enough to support the tank. The two main things are making sure you put it together soundly enough that it will support the weight...and making sure everything is completely level so the entire bottom rI'm of the tank is resting on the stand so there will be no pressure points.

So it comes down to exactly what LyndaB asked...how well do you trust your building skills? lol

smitte1
How about reinforcing a coffee table or something that I already know is leavel

ryanr
Thread moved to DIY section.

iZaO Jnr
2 x 4's work great. I had 2x4's supporting my old 180 gallon tank perfectly fine. I built it when my woodwork skills weren't at their best.

Just a good plan and understanding what you're intending to do beforehand will be easy. Levels should be the least of your problems if you are patient and don't rush your work. Jointing is always the trickiest solution. A combination of cold glue AND Screws work best by far. If your construction skills are good enough, you can do rebate joints which will solve that issue as well.

Dlondon95
I made a rack for breeding tank and am also building a stand for a 110g tank. Both of use dado cuts (are they the same thing as rebate cuts?)

The rack is VERY strong and steady and holds half a dozen tanks.

smitte1
Well I haven't done any real wood work after shop class in highschool (which I don't miss ) but I was alwas decent so does anyone know where I can get some good plans thanks.

Dlondon95
This is how I made my rack and stand.

smitte1
Wow Dlondon your fish room is crazy it looks like a fish store and that plan will work great for me thanks so much.

Dlondon95
That's not my fishroom! I wish! haha

Ted has a really good site with lots of information.

Treefork

Yeah. He's speaking at the ACA convention again this year. Going on in Indy right now through Friday I think.

aquatic
)

I've been following uarujoey on youtube for a while and he's got a pretty good video on building a stand and some other DIY things.

Dlondon95
Yeah. He's speaking at the ACA convention again this year. Going on in Indy right now through Friday I think.

I was just in Indy last week

smitte1

O to bad my bedroom is slowly turning into it 1 tank at a time. 2 months ago I said I'm just gona get a ten gallon just to ad a little color to my room.

Now I have the 10 a 2.5 a 55 and am getting a 65 and am already imagining the 200 gallon reef wana do if I had the money. Lol o how fast are hobbys take over

smitte1
)

I've been following uarujoey on youtube for a while and he's got a pretty good video on building a stand and some other DIY things.
Thanks ill have to watch this one later seems kinda long with the multI part.

And just a side note how do I reply with more then 1 reply in one post

iZaO Jnr
I made a rack for breeding tank and am also building a stand for a 110g tank. Both of use dado cuts (are they the same thing as rebate cuts?)

The rack is VERY strong and steady and holds half a dozen tanks.

Yes they exactly the same as far as I know. Rebate jointings aren't the strongest, not even close. But believe me you don't need more than that unless you are using inadequate wood, or holding a ridiculous amount of weight.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jroe263
Replies
Views
frshwtrguy
Replies
Views
Dave125g
Replies
Views