Home for Break?

1. hooxeii Well Known Member Member

As some of you may know, I am in college, currently living in a dorm with my fish and an annoying roomie. However, x-mas break is coming up fast, and I can't leave the fish in my university town for that length of time. They gotta come home too... here's the situation:

I figure the two boy bettas can be mved either in their 5 gallon homes (with some of the water taken out) or I can place them in the cups they came in (saved em) for the 45 minute journey home.

A bigger concern is my 10 gallon containing my female betta, a cory cat, an oto cat, and a ghost shrimp. I would prefer not to net the cory, as his little spines could get caught, but the tank will be too heavy for my dad to lift and carry down the stairs to the car. I figure it might be possible with most of the water drained, but I'm not banking on that. I have a small container to transport the shrimp and catfish in, and the female betta can go in her cup like the boys.

So... any advice?

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

could you get a cup for the cory, too, or a bag like at the fish store? I don't even know if this is the way to do it, just trying to brainstorm with you.

3. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Try using a cup to corral him. 45 minites isn't that long of a ride. Bag up the fish so they don't get sloshed around. Put them in a soft sided cooler for the ride.
    You can empty the 1og, just leave enough water to keep the gravel wet. Bag up the filter media and keep it wet and warm.
    You shouldn't have a problem. :)

4. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Hooxeii. I think your fish will be fine bagged for 45minutes. Great tips above. My LFS is an hour away. The cooler is a great idea for a transport container. (to hold the bagged fish). I'm not a fan of fish nets either. I suggest you use anything other than a net, that will contain a fish, cover it with your hand and into the bag. I like too that by doing it this way the fish isn't exposed to air the way netting exposes it to air.
    Best of luck!
    Ken

5. Beth1965 Well Known Member Member

I think the ideas above are all do-able. Best of luck and have a great time home during your break.