Home aqua scaping ideas?

ZeldaNerd

Hi, so I have some big pieces of driftwood that would go perfectly in a tank I'm planning that I found at the beach around 6 months ago. It's been in a bin at my Grandfather's house for a while, but I would like the clean it off and use it for a tank. These are big pieces that I couldn't boil on the stove, is it ok to just scrub driftwood? And with that, could I scrub down some old terracotta plant pots to go as decor in my tank as well (these I think would be small enough to boil if need be)? I'm looking for some cute, cheap, and easy ways to decorate my tank. And I was also thinking about gluing some rocks together to make a cave, just a lot of DIY to keep me busy as a hobby. Has anyone ever attempted this before? I saw some aquascaping with Marmio ball pouring out of a pot in a tank and it looked too cute, I would love to do that! And I think the driftwood, cave, and pots would make great hides for the fish I'm thinking of. Thank you in advance for the advice!

MoshJosh

I have used terra-cotta pots in the past without issue. I just rinse them under hot water and wipe them down (remove any price tags). I was once told that you should try to get the made in USA pots because other varieties might not be aquarium safe, I don’t know if there’s any truth to that, but I imagine most terra-cotta pots are fine. I get mine at Home Depot, and they work fine.

As far as the Driftwood it’s sort of depends on the variety of wood. . . But assuming the wood is of a safe variety, beacause you can’t boil it I would personally just rinse it with the hottest water you can safely manage very well and then dry it out very well before putting it in the tank (but may take a while to water log/sink) and then watch the Tank for a while to see what happens. But again it really depends on the type of wood.

Pure cyanoacrylate glue should be aquarium safe, specifically Gel type superglued. Alternatively you could use 100% silicone, Zip ties, and certain kinds of thread to adhere/attach things in the aquarium.

Also watch MD fish tanks, SerpaDesign, FooTheFlowerhorn on YouTube for more ideas/info

Upvote 0

ZeldaNerd

Thank you so much, that answered all my questions! And for the suggestions, I love my local Home Depot, honestly, they have everything.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kattiq
Replies
Views
Fishwifery
Replies
Views
Pandamanda2022