Homcoming! Panda cory!

1. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

So I put off buying my new panda cory since I was uncertain about the stability of my water parameters since I am kicking the Cycle habit (some of you are familiar with my woes from other threads) Anyway, I have my quarintine tank set up now, and I am using Cycle in this for the short term since my new fish will be in there only 2 weeks (is that too long?)
    I am bringing him home on Tuesday since we are away this weekend, I want to be around every day after I get him home (he's on hold right now at the LFS!) My question is: Do I test his tank every day (it's only 1.5 gallon) and how often should I put Cycle in the tank for the short term use to ensure that the bacteria needed to eat his waste are present? I am using API water conditioner and have API Ammo-lock on hand as well if needed. Can't seem to find Prime in the town I live in. Any other suggestions as to what I should do for him while he's in isolation? Can't wait to get him home!:;banaman

2. clownloachy Initiate Member

Ummmm..... I would not keep a schooling fish like a cory by itself. Also, corys need at least 15 gallons. To answer your question, I would test the tank every other day, but it wont matter if you do it every day just to be safe. Do lots of water changes!:)

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

She's not keeping him by himself. It's for quarantine only. She will be putting him in a 30g tank with three other corys.

GoGreen-if you keep up with water changes every day or other day, he'll be fine for two weeks.

Congratulations and I hope you can post pics once he's settled in to his final home:;hug2

4. clownloachy Initiate Member

ahhhhh, ok, sorry gogreen!

5. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Okay so every other day a water change, and most likely I'll test his water every day just to be sure. When I transfer him (after the quarantine) should I try to scoop him into a ladle or cup or just net him and put him in the main tank? I noticed some comments on this forum that some people use nets fairly infrequently.

6. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

If the temperature and PH are the same, you can do either.

Some members say that the cups and bowls are less stressful for the fish. They're probably right. It makes sense from the fish's standpoint.

I personally use a net, so best advice that I can offer is to do what is best for you.

7. GoGreen Well Known Member Member

Yup, my temperature and pH are the same, been keeping a check on this during set up. Okay then net or cup, guess I will decide when the time comes. thank you:)