Holy underwater jungle, Batman!

Kbell77

So, I planted my tank before Thanksgiving, and due to the holidays and just plan out being busy (and having COVID) I only did basic maintenance on the tank. I did overdose the tank on carbon dioxide before Christmas and poisoned some of my fish but the plants loved it and just sprouted and haven’t quit growing since. I haven’t even used carbon dioxide or fertilizer
915944EC-03F2-4437-AB9E-39E4E3FC5FED.jpeg since then, just my grow light. I’m posting a picture with my post and this is after trimming a ton of plants back today. It literally is a fish jungle. I have four catfish to stay at the bottom and my betta was having a hard time getting around because of all the plants. I have a 2 gallon bucket full of plants right now, all the clippings from where I trimmed them back. My question here is, where do I go from here to get my tank looking good? Obviously I have plenty of plants. Do I just cut them all back and replant with the clippings? I don’t really love the messy look but I could live with it if I had to. The plants are mostly all super healthy (except for a few that weren’t getting any light at all) and I have lots of red plants. I also have anchors so that I can put them basically anywhere I need to. I just really want to avoid having to take everything apart if I can. As you can see though, the plants all have long roots that are not particularly attractive and I would like to eliminate this. Any suggestions?

PlantedCommunityTank132

The betta is super cool. You could just plant the ones with the roots. I would go ahead and clip some of the plants and replant the clippings.

Rose of Sharon

Lovely tank and gorgeous betta! :)

I'm not sure about those roots, though.

Hey JLAquatics, what do you think?

JLAquatics

It looks to me that the plants are really liking the water they are in. If that is so, it will make for adjusting them much easier if you were to trim them.

If I were you, I would take all the background and unruly plants out of the tank and trim up the stems (with sharp scissors, aquascaping shears preferable) into portions with about 3-5 internodes each depending on species. The Water Wisteria in particular can get very long roots, sometimes over half a foot long and it will eventually become super unsightly once they inevitably get even larger.

You can then plant the clipped stems in loose groups of the same type on the sides and background of the tank. To aid in their adjustment, I would opt for some root tabs where the cut stems are planted. You can also take some of the super long roots off, all the stems really need is some leaves and a good portion of stem to begin growing new roots that will root like normal in your substrate. I would also begin dosing liquid fertilizer again to help all your new stems get the nutrition they need to grow in healthy.

Kbell77

Thank you all! I really appreciate the advice. And my betta is a super cool little guy. His name is Sushi. :)

PBateman

i almost poisoned all of my fish one afternoon because i accidentally increased CO2 too much. came back adn they were all gasping. Looks pretty good though

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views
MupsIsLife