Holy OVERSTOCKED Tank Batman!

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Treefork, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Treefork

Treefork Well Known Member Member

Had to stop into my doctors office today, noticed they had a 10 gallon tank in the front office, pretty clean for the most part, so I took a peek in.

1 - Full Grown Angelfish
    1 - Golf Ball Sized Mystery Snail
    2 - Adult Bronze Cory Cats
    1 - 5 inch Albino Redtail Shark
    1 - 6 inch Pleco
    1- Neon

Uhhhhh....

I pointed the overstockiness out to the front desk, they didn't have a clue. Ah well, at least I said something. Fish looked healthy.

2. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

What, that's my tank! Just kidding:)

Maybe they got their stocking suggestions from the LFS? We all know how good they are at offering fishkeeping advice:whistling:

3. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Oh, yes, excellent!

"Yup, just let the tank run with its filter and heater on overnight, then you could dump your pleco, danios, tetras, and catfish in. Make sure you float the bag for 5 minutes!"

That's how I ended up losing half my population of fish the first day and dove into the troubles of fishkeeping.

Remember as much as we want to make every tank in the world perfect, it just isn't possible. However, it's much better to speak up and at least try. Who knows? It just might make one sad fish's life better! ;D

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Mine has a marine tank, probably 120g - with two tiny fish. :;laughing

5. bassbonediva

bassbonediva Fishlore VIP Member

It's amazing how many people don't realize how big angelfish get! The girl at the LFS tried to tell me they stay the size of the ones they had in their tank (about 2" long and 4" high). Ummmmm...try they about triple in size from that! At least she listened and wanted to learn. I have a friend who is going to stick her 5" fantail goldfish (that they've had for about four months and it started out as a little 2" thing, so you KNOW it isn't done growing) and 8" common pleco into a 10gal (from the 28gal bowfront they're in) and call it good, despite everything I've advised her to the contrary. :;fru

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

I got really lucky with the "wake up call" to angel grown size.

My favorite LFS had one that was brought in that the owner didn't want anymore. He filled up most of the 20g tank. I'm not exaggerating. I had not idea how "bulky" they get, too. Unfortunately, this happened when I did not have an empty tank, or I would've re-homed him here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice