Holy Nitrites Batman!!

CJ3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SO...I'm cycling my second tank. The first time I did this I cycled with three platies, tetra safestart, had some plants and used eco smart and sand substrate. The tank cycled in about 14 days (if I remember correctly). All was well.

Different city new supplies. Long story short I'm now cycling with 5 tiger barbs (love these guys!!), used FritzZyme 7, and have Flourite and sand substrate. 12 days into cycle, my nitrites have spiked big time....panicked. Had some plants die (I'd place some flourish tabs in the substrate when I planted so no idea why they died, other plants fine). With five fish and a couple dead plants I'm guessing waste overload for the still growing bacteria colony. Yes dead plant material removed.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 2 (maybe higher...hard for me to read the color)
Nitrate: 10

I did a 50% water changed and dosed 5x prime. I will probably do another water change tonight. Question going forward....do I do the stability and prime route OR just put in some tetra safe start...is there a point to it now? My concern with tetra safe start is that you have to wait 24 hr before adding after prime and if I have to keep doing water changes I may never have the opportunity. Mixed feedback on stability from what I've read.

Help appreciated. Thank you!!! Oh, btw, the barbs are tough little guys. They are active as ever and doing well so far.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CJ3 said:
SO...I'm cycling my second tank. The first time I did this I cycled with three platies, tetra safestart, had some plants and used eco smart and sand substrate. The tank cycled in about 14 days (if I remember correctly). All was well.

Different city new supplies. Long story short I'm now cycling with 5 tiger barbs (love these guys!!), used FritzZyme 7, and have Flourite and sand substrate. 12 days into cycle, my nitrites have spiked big time....panicked. Had some plants die (I'd place some flourish tabs in the substrate when I planted so no idea why they died, other plants fine). With five fish and a couple dead plants I'm guessing waste overload for the still growing bacteria colony. Yes dead plant material removed.

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 2 (maybe higher...hard for me to read the color)
Nitrate: 10

I did a 50% water changed and dosed 5x prime. I will probably do another water change tonight. Question going forward....do I do the stability and prime route OR just put in some tetra safe start...is there a point to it now? My concern with tetra safe start is that you have to wait 24 hr before adding after prime and if I have to keep doing water changes I may never have the opportunity. Mixed feedback on stability from what I've read.

Help appreciated. Thank you!!! Oh, btw, the barbs are tough little guys. They are active as ever and doing well so far.
To me it just sounds like a still cycling mode...plenty of Nitrosomas but not enough Nitrobacter yet. I would personally continue to do partial water changes to protect the plants and fish you have until your nitrite level control is taken over by the completion of the bio cycling. I'm not the biggest fan of bottled probiotics because their shelf life is unpredictable, but it might be something to consider.

CJ3

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you! I will stay the course and remain patient. I'd read somewhere that it takes longer for the nitrobacter to get established...so was hoping maybe I could DO something to help them along. But, water changes and patience will have to prevail although knowing myself I'll probably dump some safestart in the tank once I can get the nitrites down.

finnipper59

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CJ3 said:
Thank you! I will stay the course and remain patient. I'd read somewhere that it takes longer for the nitrobacter to get established...so was hoping maybe I could DO something to help them along. But, water changes and patience will have to prevail although knowing myself I'll probably dump some safestart in the tank once I can get the nitrites down.
Safestart certainly wouldn't hurt. But I would still look into the bottled probiotics. You may get lucky enough to wind up with your Nitrobacter...but I don't know for sure.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom