55 Gallon Tank Holy NITRITES, Batman!

Musey
Background: I've been fishless cycling my tank since the end of July. You can see my , if you are interested in my daily testing data.

Okay so now on to the good stuff:
This morning I did a 50% water change, mostly to bring the pH back up a bit but also because I was hoping that it would bring my nitrites back down low enough for me to get a good reading on them.

Hahaha... fat chance!!! After the water change my nitrites were still off the scale on the liquid test at 5.0+ and 10.0+ on the test-strips. So it got me wondering: Exactly how high are my nitrates really? So I came up with the idea to do some experimentation.

Test #1: Diluted 5ml tank water in 5ml of tap water (50% solution). Mixed well. Test results: 5.0 ppm.
Test #2: Diluted 5ml tank water in 15ml of tap water (25% solution). Mixed well. Test results: 5.0 ppm.
Test #3: Diluted 5ml tank water in 45ml of tap water (10% solution). Mixed well. Test results: 5.0 ppm.
Test #4: Diluted 5ml tank water in 500ml of bottled water (1% solution). Mixed well. Test results: 0.25 ppm.
Test #5: Diluted 5ml tank water in 2000ml of tap water (.25% solution). Mixed well. Test results: >0.0 and <0.25 ppm.

So armed with this information, I need to do a 99% water change (despite doing a 50% change this morning) in order to bring my nitrites down to .25 ppm.

At this point, I'm actually considering doing a 90% water change tomorrow morning because I've been in the middle of my nitrite spike for over two weeks. I know that super high nitrites does not effect the progress of a cycle... and that the water changes just give us the satisfaction of being able to track the readings on our test charts better... but... it can't hurt, can it? I mean, over two weeks for a nitrite spike with no sign of decline is kind of long... don't you think?

What do you guys think?

Tigress Hill
You called

I would proceed with the change, just my opinion. That tank could be out the window by now with the results you've been having if I was in your shoes. Then again, what a waste of a tank

Musey
Hahaha! Somehow I knew you would show up Tigress!

Yeah, I'm on the fence about it. On the one hand, my tank can cobble up 8ml ammonia in less than 8 hours. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'm making any progress with nitrite-eating-bacteria. Or maybe they are actually growing but my nitrites have just built up soooooo high, that it would take another year for them to be able to make a dent. LOL!

Dilemmas... dilemmas... what to do... what to do...

Tigress Hill
Chunk it!:;madsmiley(mentally replace computer with fish tank)

Musey
Then I'd have to get a new tank AND a new computer...

Tigress Hill
Nope, not a new computer. Just pretend that the smiley is tossing a fish tank;D

Musey
Yeah, I kind of got that... but I was being dorky.

Tigress Hill
Sure

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom