HOLY ! I looked at my tank at the right time and found peppered fry! 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by rmarkham, Dec 1, 2012.

1. rmarkham

rmarkham Well Known Member Member

So I found myself looking at my tank today for a bit.. and thought I saw some mystery tiny fish swim in between some gravel....

I did a double take and found a tiny peppered cory fry! I had no idea they even laid eggs... I'm in shock!

I really must have looked at the right time because now I can't find it... who knows how many more there are! Guess I'll have to be careful with gravel vacs from now on... I did one the other day and I hope I didn't suck any little guys up!

What do cory eggs look like, and does anyone have a guess as too how old this guy is?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

That is too cute :) I have no idea how old it is but probably a few weeks as new borns look like tails with eyes lol congratulations. I would be extra careful with gravel vacuums :D

3. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

Good thing I have lots of hiding places for them... not that this was planned at all!

I hope he makes it :)

4. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967 Valued Member Member

Congratulations on becoming an unexpected parent.That gravel looks huge when seen next to your baby cory.How big a group of adult cories do you have? They must be very happy in your tank.Sorry cant help with age.I accidently sucked up one of my juvie serpae tetras when doing a gravel vacc and didnt notice until I emptied out bucket into sink.Too late to save it as it washed down drain before I could rescue it.

5. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry to hear you lost one my water changes take at least twice as long on my endler/gourami tank because of the babies those curious little fishes

6. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

Sorry about your little guy! :( The gravel is the larger size which makes the baby look even smaller! I haven't been able to find him again... I have 5 peppered cories in my tank, and 5 albino. I'm so shocked! I called my mother and grandmother.. they weren't as enthused as I was.

7. nippybetta

nippybetta Well Known Member Member

That sounds really fun... I'd love a surprise like that. I've got 4 pygmy cories in my15g, and if they lay eggs there's a chance some might survive... still, you're lucky!

8. J

JoannaB Well Known Member Member

I wonder whether one could put a stocking on the vacuum to prevent fry from being sucked up? Good luck!

9. amber0107

amber0107 Well Known Member Member

I have a fry that's a little bigger than that and mine's a bit over a month old. Congrats!

10. SugarJunkee

SugarJunkee Valued Member Member

We propped our tiny meshed net under the hose in the sink (under the aqueon water changer thingie) when we thought we may have swordtail fry. If nothing else, now you know to check the bucket extra carefully! Finding him in the gravel must have been one of those squee moments.

11. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

I cover my siphon with a nylon to clean my blue jelly tank with shrimplets. Everything gets caught in the nylon, yuck and random baby. I rinse it in a jar of tank water. I let yuck settle and use a turkey baster to retrieve anyone who doesn't belong, returning baby o tank. Moving slow I only get 1 or 2 in the nylon and I have to batches of babiesvall over the place.
    congrats on the cory fry! :) have fun cleaning around them

12. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

Thanks everyone! I saw him again, and my boyfriend was luck too as well. SO cute seeing something so small :)

13. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

14. OP
    OP
    rmarkham

I have never seen anything like that in my tank! Granted there are tons of hiding spots! :) Even my boyfriend was interested.. and he doesn't care about my fish hobby in the least.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice