Holy Ammonia Problems- Help!

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by ComradeM, May 20, 2018.

1. ComradeMNew MemberMember

So, I have two tanks- a 20 gallon community tank-not overstocked, and a 7 gallon singular Betta tank. I’m using the same tap water, and I tested my tap water for ammonia- zero traces. My Betta’s water is good. My 20 gallon is a mess. Super high ammonia readings. We’re talking a 1.0. I do many water changes, I add amquel, nothing seems to help. I will tell you that I am guilty of a fish in cycle. I thought I had enough experience to do this without harming anyone, and they seem fine. I cycled my Betta tank properly, and I will never do a fish in cycle again! Here’s the thing-the 20 should’ve cycled by now. What to do? Again, no clamped fins, no staying at the top. They all seem active and fine. This is what is in my tank- 5 plants, 1 moss patch, about 3 inches by 3 inches, a flame moss stone, 3 pieces of petrified wood, a piece of driftwood. A rock cave. I clean out any plant debris, often. Suggestions?

2. Cheesearmada

CheesearmadaValued MemberMember

One question, are you using water conditioner with the tap water? Chlorine can kill your beneficial bacteria, potentially killing your cycle

3. OP
    OP
    C

ComradeMNew MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice