Holly Bush Root In An Aquarium?

Florence

While doing yard work I came across an attractive piece of holly bush root that would look great in my bettas ten gallon. I was wondering if this would be okay? I tried looking it up but I couldn't find anything on whether its dangerous or not. The root is completely dried, so no sap or anything.

Coradee

I’ve not heard of anyone using that in their aquarium but that doesn’t mean it couldn't be, hopefully some who knows will chime in & help today

Mike406

Florence said:
While doing yard work I came across an attractive piece of holly bush root that would look great in my bettas ten gallon. I was wondering if this would be okay? I tried looking it up but I couldn't find anything on whether its dangerous or not. The root is completely dried, so no sap or anything.
Since there is no general info available on Holly root I would be cautious Worse case the root could break down and release harmful elements that may kill your fish

oldsalt777

Florence said:
Hello Flor...

The dried root isn't going to last long in the tank water. Once it's under the water, it will begin dissolving. If your tap water has a low pH (acidic), the root will disappear even faster. If you want something to decorate the tank, then use a larger, dead branch. Those can be found in local lake and stream areas and just need to be rinsed and left in the sun for a few hours. Weigh the piece down with some rocks and you're good.

Old

angelcraze

oldsalt777 Is the holly root soft? Why does it dissolve quickly? Does every root dissolve quickly? Tx

oldsalt777

angelcraze said:
oldsalt777 Is the holly root soft? Why does it dissolve quickly? Does every root dissolve quickly? Tx
angelcraze said:
Hello angel...

Water is called "The Great Dissolver". Anything that goes into the tank water will begin to dissolve, this is another reason to perform large, weekly water changes. A water change will remove whatever has dissolved in the tank. The root will act like a sponge and take in some of the tank water through the tiny cracks and crevices. The water will soften the wood fibers and the piece will eventually dissolve and start to fall apart. But, the larger the piece, the longer the process takes. Some very large pieces will last many months, if not years.

Old

Florence

oldsalt777 said:
Hello Flor...

The dried root isn't going to last long in the tank water. Once it's under the water, it will begin dissolving. If your tap water has a low pH (acidic), the root will disappear even faster. If you want something to decorate the tank, then use a larger, dead branch. Those can be found in local lake and stream areas and just need to be rinsed and left in the sun for a few hours. Weigh the piece down with some rocks and you're good.

Old
I've had it soaking in water for almost a week now and nothing about it has changed. Unfortunately, much of the driftwood I find by the
oldsalt777 said:
Hello Flor...

Old
I've had it soaking for almost a week now and nothing about it has changed. Unfortunately, the driftwood I find by the river is usually far to large for a 10 gallon.

angelcraze

oldsalt777 said:
Hello angel...

Water is called "The Great Dissolver". Anything that goes into the tank water will begin to dissolve, this is another reason to perform large, weekly water changes. A water change will remove whatever has dissolved in the tank. The root will act like a sponge and take in some of the tank water through the tiny cracks and crevices. The water will soften the wood fibers and the piece will eventually dissolve and start to fall apart. But, the larger the piece, the longer the process takes. Some very large pieces will last many months, if not years.

Old
So any driftwood or just holly root. I've had manzanita root in my tanks for years. The mopanI in my 90g I bought second hand and had in my tank for 5 years now. Just curious.... tx
Btw, my water is soft.

oldsalt777

angelcraze said:
So any driftwood or just holly root. I've had manzanita root in my tanks for years. The mopanI in my 90g I bought second hand and had in my tank for 5 years now. Just curious.... tx
Btw, my water is soft.
angel...

Very hard woods aren't very porous, so they can last a very long time. But, everything in the water is constantly breaking down. Just look what a little water did to the rock in the Grand Canyon!

Old

angelcraze

oldsalt777 said:
angel...

Very hard woods aren't very porous, so they can last a very long time. But, everything in the water is constantly breaking down. Just look what a little water did to the rock in the Grand Canyon!

Old
Oh I believe you, my manzanita has degraded over the years. MopanI seems to last forever even with 3 BN plecos and babies. I guess I was getting at that, if it depends on hardwood or softwood. Tx Old!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom