Holiday

Rachel

Reaction score
HI everyone

We are going on holiday for a week at the end of the month, we have some one popping in to check and feed our fish once a day but I was wondering about the light on our tank. Does it matter if the light is off for a week? I can't set it to a timer as the light and filter are one 'system' with the on/off switch for the light being on the tank rather than on a separate plug. Thanks in advance.

Rachel

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Won't hurt a thing for your lights to be off for a week. The fish can also go that long without feeding.
Carol

OP
R

Rachel

Reaction score
Thanks Carol. We can enjoy our holiday without worrying about the fish now!!
Rachel

Luniyn

Well Known
Reaction score
A great suggestion (which I believe I got from this site) if you are going to have someone feed the fish, is to make up packets of food for them. Tell them to dump in 1 packet of food only no matter how fast the fish seem to eat it. Then you are assured that your fish are getting the right amount and not more then they (or the tank) need.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Exactly Liniyn You could also tape them to the tank you want the food to go into if your using different food.
Carol

OP
R

Rachel

Reaction score
That's a really good idea! thankyou x

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I did that once when I was going to be gone for an extended period of time. My son had kept fish but didn't know what mine were used to getting when. I used the little snack size ziplock bags and labeled them feeding one, feeding 2 etc. and taped them to the tank I wanted it to go into and only had him feed them every 3-4 days. The idea is, it won't hurt them to go as long as a week without food, and if some thing goes wrong somebodies not adding food and the fish aren't adding waste to add to the problem. So easy does it on the food.
Carol

New Threads