Holiday Food

G Theakston

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi folks
I would appreciate thought on holday feeds blocks . Looking on reviews on amazon type sites I find conflicting responses. Even the makes I recognize. What do you use please.
I have a Fluval flex 57 litre tank .I also have fry that will be about 8-9 weeks old when I go away for 5 nights or so. These have squeezed past the grill slots in the back (I am experimenting ways to allow waterflow while denying access to the back area) they wander through the rear chambers but have not traversed back to the main area, so it is like a nursery for them . I feed them 4 times a day. But feeding them when away is another matter too. I have platties (the parents of the fry) danios and guppies and one golden minnow. Do you think they will be big enough not to provide a tasy little snack for these bigger fish
Any ideas would be welcome
Thanks
The flounderer

NavigatorBlack

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When i go away, I add handfuls of floating plants. Fry eat the micro-organisms on them and do just fine if you are away for less then 8-9 days.
Holiday blocks invariably pollute the water here, and cause many more problems than they solve.

GoldenWonderRyan

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
if they are live bearers then as long as you have plants preferably floating they will have enough food in the tank anyway. They will always nibble on any algae that grows so before you go don't try and clean it off haha, fish can generally go for a week or two without feeding and like @NavigatorBlack said they will usually cause more problems than they solve.

G Theakston

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for that
NavigatorBlack and GoldenWonderRyan
Thanks for taking the effort
What about the fry ? Leave them in the rear section or risk bringing them into the main tank
Cheers

Piaelliott

Well Known Member
Reaction score
It is a rather small tank. Your lifebearers will continue to have babies. What are you going to do with all the fry that is going to show up?
Just asking because I was overrun with fry as well and it stressed me out. I ended up catching most of them and bringing them to my LFS.
No idea what your tank looks like. If it is heavily planted, fry will survive. If it is bare with maybe an ornament and an artificial plant, probably not.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom