Holes In Leaves

1. A

AbrielleRose New Member Member

Hello,
    Any recommended test kits I can get to test for magnesium, phosphate, and all the minerals that plants thrive on? I have the API master kit.

My temple plants are getting holes in the leaves. It will start at the tips and work itself to the whole leave and the leaf will disolve in the water. It starts with old leaves first. I've read it could be magnesium, and other things.

I have black diamond sand. Tank has been doing great for 3 months, and now the plants don't look so great. I added more osmocote root tabs last week. Dosed with Flourish in the beginning - no improvement, then did API Leaf Zone, still no improvement. Also, now my Water Sprite is staring to brown at the stems and die off. Java Fern was browning at the base, but now it is getting better there, but the leaves are now starting to get holes, too.
    aquarium plants.jpg

2. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

Could be potassium.....
    Do you have any shrimp????? Looks like leaves might have had algae and shrimp cleaned them off....

Thrive by nilocg or plant food by ultum nature systems are good all in one ferts with a better NPK ratio then what you have been using.

Can you post a whole tank shot?

3. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

I've got a similar problem in one of my tanks.
    Was thinking it may be related to long term use of Seachem Replenish in a planted tank to raise GH.
    I use root tabs and Flourish comprehensive on mine.

4. OP
    OP
    A

No shrimp. I have a school of glow light danios, guppies, and endlers. Malaysian trumpet snails, nerites, and ramshorn snails.

Here's the full tank shot. I just finished trimming out a lot of leaves last night.

2017-08-02 07.46.10.jpg

5. Floundering_Around

Floundering_Around Well Known Member Member

If the plants are new, I would say they are melting back. If not, it's a nutrient deficiency, especially if your parameters are good.

6. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

I would lean towards potassium, possibly a bit of a nitrogen deficiency as well.
    Try nilocg thrive or ultum nature systems plant food (both have pretty much the same makeup). They have a better ratio of the macros then seachem or API.

Nice looking tank :)

7. OP
    OP
    A

Ok. Just ordered Thrive. Crossing fingers my plants will rebound.

8. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

Good move! Looks like a deficiency, a good all around fert will help.