Hole Size In Terra Cotta Pots?

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm going to silicone 4 tetra cotta pots for a cave. How big do I need the holes to safely have a cockatoo swim through? That's all for now haha

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Also has anyone painted the terra cotta pots with success of not hurting the fish? I was going to paint back of tank with krylon and i read it's safe on PBS co why not terracotta pots?

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I paint the outside of my tanks. Anytime I might do something new that I'm not positive it will harm the fish, I never test on my apisto's, use guppies or some other cheap fish.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
A 1" opening will be more than enough, I like a hole just big enough for the female, most times she will fill the opening up with sand just big enough for her and the male will not be allowed in after eggs are laid.

Rcslade124

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well pretty sure I made mine to big. I will be planning a way to close if off some. Have thought about making a real rock cave I can view from the front that's just big enough for her to fit in

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
That sounds good, all of my Hongsloi females like tight secluded places the Borellii they would lay on anything that had a roof [flower pot, cave or rock].

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom