Hole in the top of clay pot for frogs to hide

plecolover
you know how there's a hole at the bottom of a clay pot wel I made the hole bigger . I got a power drill and connected a drill bit to a socket. drilled inside the pot so the socket wouldnt slip off and made a bigger hole. its cool now I can turn it upside down and my frogs can go in and out of it from the top. cool hiding place huu?

nevermind there was a crack in the pot and I broke it.too bad that would of been somthing

Tom
It is very neat to watch your little fish make homes out of it too. I had turned it upside down and buried it in the gravel and a skunk loach had made it a home. It was neat to watch the little fish pop it's little head when there is commotion in the tank and then swim out and then circle the entrance for a little while and then zoom in again.
Tom

Next time you could try a knife or something like that and slowly make it larger by scraping away slowly.
Tom

VertigoXLR8R222
a Dremmel with a cutting wheel or a grinder bit would make a larger hole in a flower pot those things will cut just about anything Lee

Trpimp147
did you have a concret drill bit they are diff from a reg one they have a small pattel lip on the tip of the bit. usly a dull silver, try that out and try not to press hard let the bit do the work, just be care full i've almost drilled my self doing things liek this haha

darkwolf29a
a Dremmel with a cutting wheel or a grinder bit would make a larger hole in a flower pot those things will cut just about anything Lee

I would try a grinder bit. I've used those before to do similar things...just move slowly.

Beeboy
Here is a link to a site that gives details on how to do it.

Beeboy

Tom
If you can get a hold of one of these, you can 'grind' the clay pot and cut holes and the pot won't crack. I just finished cutting 2 clay pots and it didn't crack/break.

Tom

darkwolf29a
I'll give you an update, from my convict tank. I have two pots in there. I took out the bottoms of both of them. I used, simply, a hammer and a screwdriver. It just takes a light tap with a hammer to drive a screw driver threw the pot bottom. It's easier than I would have thought, honestly. LOL

Tom
But if you want to take out some of the side then that's when I used the tool I showed.
Tom

darkwolf29a
True dat. A screwdriver would crak the whole thing, if you hit it in the side. Good thinking, Tom.

Tom
I will have pics of it when the sealant dries on it. I covered it in little pieces of natural rock so it looks somewhat natural.
Tom

neverendingninja
I found when I put a clay pot in my 10 gal tank, it made the water very hard. This might be good for an african cichlid tank, but I don't think my rams would appreciate it much, being soft water fish and all.

If anyone has any experience with this, let me know, as they do make nice little caves.

Tom
I finally got the pics of the clay pot. I have some before and after pics so you know what the changes are. Just click on 'Fish' and then 'Other' and you can figure it out from there.

Tom

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
navyscuba
Replies
Views
John58ford
Replies
Views
timg
  • Kilchisblue