Hole in the dead.. oh I mean head...

kerryve

HI guys,

Ive been battling with bad hole in the head disease with Astrodam, hes really battling at the moment, the holes at one stage started to close and heal, but recently, they increasing in size and more are appearing.

My water is in prestine condition, and I removed my Hi-fin Pangasius, who I thought was the route of the problem, he just go too big, he was going on 1.5ft. It was then that they started to heal a bit obviously with less stress.

Sould I consider altering their diet, like feeding them ox heart, or liver or something like that??? One good thing is, hes still eating like a true Oscar.

I just worry, that its too late.

Thank you...

Kerry

Shawnie

aww kerry ..goodluck!! it looks so painful but they do still eat ....my boys got it once from a bad batch of feeders...they love them but so not good for them..they still get them but like once a month instead of a week lol..they werent happy at first....so mine get the cichlid gold large pellots...they love them..and they get some bloodworms n crickets..its been about 4 years since they had HIH and I wish you tons of luck!!

kerryve

Thanks,

So I rekon changing their diet would make a difference.

I think I should buy some Vitimin enriched pellets, hopefully that will make the difference they need.

Shawnie

nutrition is usually the cause but not always...overcrowded, lack of calcium, and even high nitrates can do this...I just know mine were eating feeders a lot and they aren't very nutricious ...not to mention ya never know what disease they may have before u feed them to your oscars..a great treat for them is crickets ...they are cheap and you can buy some vitamins in your LPS to fill the crickets bellys before you feed them to the oscars...your oscar's diet with crickets, mealworms, blackworms, earthworms and shrimp as well as their pellets, should help them alot!

Neville

HI guys,

Ive been battling with bad hole in the head disease with Astrodam, hes really battling at the moment, the holes at one stage started to close and heal, but recently, they increasing in size and more are appearing.

My water is in prestine condition, and I removed my Hi-fin Pangasius, who I thought was the route of the problem, he just go too big, he was going on 1.5ft. It was then that they started to heal a bit obviously with less stress.

Sould I consider altering their diet, like feeding them ox heart, or liver or something like that??? One good thing is, hes still eating like a true Oscar.

I just worry, that its too late.

Thank you...

Kerry

You have to do a lot of water changes! everyday if necessary, water changes help a lot to heal the HITH, what r u feeding your Oscar, u should try some shrimps, small fish (quaratine feeder fish before feeding) and worms, In most of the cases HITH occurs because of poor diet and poor water quality. I fhe is stiil eating then it is not too late, keep up the water changes and supplement his diet with high protein. Good Luck

Shawnie

Just wondering how the HITH is doing?? see any improvements?

kerryve

HI guys,

No change, I don't know if that's good or bad. I didnt try the liver, I'm going to try that for a week and keep you posted. Thanks for your help!!!

Shawnie

not good...I'm sorry ...what size tank is he in?? have you continued the water changes? or even any decorations in the tank could cause some major damages to them..they are frisky fellas....was hoping it was better ...goodluck!

Gunnie

You might also want to try making your own fish food where you can add liquid vitamins and also medication. Metronidazole is recommended for HITH, and is more effective when taken internally by the fish. Water quality and diet are also very important. It sounds like you are doing all the right things because it has started to heal. If you don't want to try making your own food, try soaking the food you use now in liquid vitamins before feeding, and then dropping the metro tablets or capsules in the tank according to the directions. You will have to quarantine your oscar if there are other fish in the tank if you do it this way. Also, make sure your fish food is good quality. If the first ingredient is fish meal, it's less nutricious. Omega One and New Life Spectrum are excellent choices.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dylan13
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
jkkgron2
Replies
Views