Hole in Side of Guppy

donb

I have a guppy that developed a hole in her side--almost like her intestine has been rerouted. No other problems: she eats, swims, acts completely normal. I have several hundred guppies in two, 40 gallon tanks. She was moved to this isolation tank when I noticed the problem. All the other fish are disease free. I have not been able to find any on-line solutions. Any suggestions?

Note: photo was taken when she was pregnant, after giving birth, she returned to her normal size but still has this active hole.

Female Guppy.jpg

endlercollector

Fishlore VIP
It's hard for me to see the hole. It is a lesion? Have you gotten any fish, plants, etc, recently? What are you water parameters today?

You could go ahead and treat for parasites. Quite frankly, as someone who also has a lot of livebearers that are breeding, I've gotten to the point where I euthanize unhealthy fish rather than trying to medicate them. It's hard to do, but the overall health of the population is more important.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
I'm with ec, it's probably parasites, but you have to consider if it's worth potentially infecting all of your other several hundred guppies. I euthanize sick livebearers as well, unless I just have a sick tank, then I treat as best I can.

New Threads