Hole in Side of Guppy

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by donb, Dec 2, 2013.

1. donb

donbNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I have a guppy that developed a hole in her side--almost like her intestine has been rerouted. No other problems: she eats, swims, acts completely normal. I have several hundred guppies in two, 40 gallon tanks. She was moved to this isolation tank when I noticed the problem. All the other fish are disease free. I have not been able to find any on-line solutions. Any suggestions?

Note: photo was taken when she was pregnant, after giving birth, she returned to her normal size but still has this active hole.

Female Guppy.

2. endlercollector

endlercollectorFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +713
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It's hard for me to see the hole. It is a lesion? Have you gotten any fish, plants, etc, recently? What are you water parameters today?

You could go ahead and treat for parasites. Quite frankly, as someone who also has a lot of livebearers that are breeding, I've gotten to the point where I euthanize unhealthy fish rather than trying to medicate them. It's hard to do, but the overall health of the population is more important.

3. junebug

junebugFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +2,259
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I'm with ec, it's probably parasites, but you have to consider if it's worth potentially infecting all of your other several hundred guppies. I euthanize sick livebearers as well, unless I just have a sick tank, then I treat as best I can.