Hole in Head?? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Cody6511, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Cody6511Valued MemberMember

I believe one of my green sevs is starting to contract hole in the head disease. I say this because he has a what looks to be a lesion that is about a milimeter long starting on the top of his head and extending to the start of his dorsal fin. It is a whitish color and my other sevs dont have it thats why i was concerned and i know cichlids contract this disease. Am i right in my assumption? And if so how do i treat this? I removed the activated carbon bags already as a precaution. I feed them spirulina flakes once a day and also regular mixed flakes once a day. I have maracyn plus will this treat it?

2. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

I don't know much about this, but if you type HITH into the search at the top of the page, there are quite a few threads you could read while waiting for an answer.

3. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Hole in the head can be easily fixed by feeding a good diet and frequent water changes. That doesn't really sound like it though. You are describing more of a sore . Hole in the head is an actual hole that you can see into. it looks like someone took a thin knitting needle and pushed it in and stuck a hole there. We had a big Oscar that had it when we got him from someone else. That's all I did was feed him a good diet and did lots of wc. It went away in a few weeks.

4. JrobberWell Known MemberMember

You know, I am sorry to say but at my work, we have a 12" long Pleco that has a huge black spot on its head that I assume is hole in head. Unfortunately, I have asked to take care of the tank and my boss keeps declining. :(

5. Betta WhispererWell Known MemberMember

Is it a black spot or an actual hole. It may be something different. Either way shame on your boss for not letting you take care of the poor thing.

6. Cody6511Valued MemberMember

That is dumb that he isn't letting you help a living creature! Bosses can be very annoying! I will do a water change in the morning then, and keep doing them til I see its gone away. I am using the Tetra brand flakes currently are Omega One brand better?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice