10 Gallon Tank Hole in guppies chest and flashing?

SavTheArtist

(TW! Thread includes pictures of a dead fish. Proceed with caution)

Hello all, it's past 1 am and I'm struggling but I'm stressing out and want to get this resolved. Forgive my lack of personality.

I got 5 male guppies for a new all-male tank in my 10g, from my LFS the other day. It's a small hobby store.

I noticed one had a small chip sort of thing on his chest, like a bit of skin. I didn't think much of it. He passed away tonight. Upon closer inspection, it's a hole??? A visible, quite round hole in his chest. There is a piece of skin by it (he's buried now).

Another one has a dark spot on his chest, in the same exact spot. I fear for his fate as well.

One of the others, who's been under inspection since the start, is exhibiting other symptoms. He seems to have patches of missing scales on either side of his head, and is flashing/is jumpy as well. He's staying by the substrate and hiding a bit, but is eating.

They're all Still eating.

I'm so stressed and heartbroken. It seems like every fish I buy, no matter what, dies or is sick. I don't know what to do. I've spent so much money on this hobby and all it ends up in is constant tears and heartbreak.

Including pictures of the deceased one in death and life, for reference, and pics of the others.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank?
10 gallons

How long has the tank been running?
A few years now

Does it have a filter?
Yes, two

Does it have a heater?
Yes

What is the water temperature?
80°F

What is the entire stocking of this tank?
4 male guppies (one just died) 2 nerites

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a week approx.

How much of the water do you change?
30-50%

What do you use to treat your water?
Prime

Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum occasionally

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes

What do you use to test the water?
Runbo strips

What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20~ ppm
pH: 7.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Twice a day

How much do you feed your fish?
A few small bits.

What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Hikari vibra bites

Do you feed frozen?
Not at the moment

Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
Not at the moment

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
A few days

How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Near introduction into the tank

In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Two of them have/had small holes in their chest/dark spots. One seems to have scales missing and is flashing (?) And staying by the substrate

Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Not yet.

Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
The one appeared to have missing scales and I noticed that one had the hole

How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
The one is flashing (?) And hiding, missing scales. Still eating however

Gasio6844

I'm not sure if I'm entirely right on this and hope more informative people see your post, but I'm speculating it might be ich? Since you have mentioned that they have spots on their scales and one of them is flashing, it might just be the case. Another cause could be parasites since the one that passed had a hole in its body. Have you observed their poop? Sorry for your guppy. Sometimes stuff that's not in your control happens but don't get too discouraged.

SavTheArtist

I'm not sure if I'm entirely right on this and hope more informative people see your post, but I'm speculating it might be ich? Since you have mentioned that they have spots on their scales and one of them is flashing, it might just be the case. Another cause could be parasites since the one that passed had a hole in its body. Have you observed their poop? Sorry for your guppy. Sometimes stuff that's not in your control happens but don't get too discouraged.
Thank you for your reply! Ick was my first suspect. When I said they had spots on their body, I mean deep, almost black wound-like spots, on the two.

The other only has the missing scales. I was looking at him close but none of them have any white speckles!

Their poop looks pretty solid and normal, actually.

Thank you. I appreciate it. As a kid in the hobby, sometimes it gets overwhelming. When a venture you spend around 1k on keeps failing, you automatically suspect something must be wrong on your end.

SavTheArtist

Today's update; the remaining four are still alive! Phe Still has the dark spot/hole on his chest, and Bubbles is still flashy and missing scales.

I was advised by another forum to take the sick ones back, and get replacements. I'm not too keen on that

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Heron
Replies
Views
bettaknight
Replies
Views
tuggerlake26
Replies
Views