Hole in GBR's head? (restart) Important

1. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

There are some scars or holes in his head? Here: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    He is also only swimming at the top.

2. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Your fish may be suffering from "Hole-in -the-head " - Hexamitiasis
    Yes - there is such a disease
    It is caused by a parasite
    There is also a similar disease called HLLE ( Head and Lateral Line Erosion ) - but this is only in Marine Species
    If you Google this , you will find out for sure, and will be able to treat accordingly.
    Good Luck finding the cause and for the treatment.

3. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I have heard of that, but my fish has had it since I put him in the tank, is it possible for it to happen that fast?
    EDIT:
    I looked it up and it kind of looks like that but you can see red blood and it is not all white like theirs.

4. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Anders,
    It could be that the horrible stuff inside has come out and left an open raw wound on the fish.
    I personally would treat as H.I.H.and hope for the best
    Parasitic diseases can start really fast, and this one ( If its HIH ) is proven to attack young Cichlids.
    Your LFS should have the correct treatment for HIH.
    Sorry I cannot recommend a brand, as everything is different in USA compared to UK.
    However you will find the treatment required if you go online

5. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Thank you

6. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

The GBR is dead. He was all white. I looked up hole in head disease and he was in the later stages of it when I got him. I saw white stuff hanging out of his head and it was too late for him.

7. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry to hear, hexamita is a horrible disease to deal with. That is what my Flowerhorn had when i got him.

8. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Ugh, yeah I read the whole thread on that, how in the world did you fix him?

9. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I started feeding metrodiazole in food and using Kanamycin in the water,

DISCLAIMER: I don't recommend mixing medications or shotgunning treatments for mild or moderately severe cases, this was this guys last chance,

That had some effect, but had researched this miracle cure overseas used to treat FH with hexamita, though it was only available in Asia, I eventually found a distributor in Southern California who shipped this treatment to me. It involves two different colored capsules that need to be mixed together in water and the mixture needs to be loaded into a skinny plastic syringe and inserted into the fishes mouth and the contents deposited directly into the fishes stomach. If i had to guess what the medicines where, my best guess is metrodiazole and nitrofurazone.

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Hmm...... interesting....... May as well make sure that are completely healthy before buying, this one looked healthy but I guess not.

11. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

A great shame the fish died.
    Please learn from this, and inspect all fish you wish to purchase really well.
    Upon buying the fish, place them in a Quarantine tank for at least 4 weeks and monitor them well
    Further to post by Riv, I have used the medication he acquired here in Thailand for a sick FH Cichlid I had, but unfortunatley was too late to save him.
    I could not read the treatment content of the medication, as it was in Thai, and I really struggle with English at times

12. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Thai, if i post a pic of the bottle, could you translate ? im very curious to know what is in the capsules.

EDIT: For future reference, this is where I purchased mine from:

http://www.petzonesd.com/clear/

13. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Definitely need to fully inspect all fish.
    Number 1: make sure no other fish around him are sick
    Number 2: see if he is very active and if his fins are fully healed (unless it is a species known to be shy)
    Number 3: make sure his scales are bright, not slimy looking or any missing.
    Number 4: make sure nothing is wrong with their eyes.

There: some good things to remember.

14. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

Riv,
    This is a different product than the one I used for my sick FH.
    As for the translation, I would not have a clue on that, and my missus being Thai will only explain that there is medicine inside for bad tummy to make him put-put, she will not know how to read the composition of the meds.
    Probably thats exactly whats written in Thai on the bottle along with "we are the Best " - a typical Thai descriptive on any product
    The Thais really have no idea about content of things like medication as we do.
    Its all to do with education my man, and the vast majority of Thais have very little education.
    I only wish I could be of more assistance to you - sorry !
    Best Wishes