Hole In Betta's Side! Help

1. Pastel.Fish. Member Member

So my Betta fish Shiro (he's pretty young about a year and a half old) has a weird hole in his side, it's actually more of a scab. I've been cleaning his water regularly, feeding the right feeding regimen, and examining him every few days and this popped up!

1f6176e05e3477b6c96cc2166960d3f4.jpg

(Here's a picture of his face, pretty normal lol I just actually got a good picture of him for once and wanted to show it!)

2bbc02eb4727331c9269865b483abe9c.png

(Here's his side! He has no backdrop on his tank so don't mind the junk in the background!)

So I'm not completely sure what's wrong with him, he shouldn't have been able to cut himself because he has soft plants but you never know. Would water changes be the best way to go with some anti-fungal medicines to prevent infection or could it be something more serious? Thanks in advance! :D

2. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It looks to me like he knocked a scale loose somehow and the light scales against the dark flesh behind makes it look worse than it is. Frequent water changes are what I would start with to keep him healthy and able to fight off opportunistic infections :)

3. Pastel.Fish. Member Member

Thank you so much! I'll keep doing frequent water changes to keep him healthy! :)