Hole In Betta Fish?

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
this started off as a tiny bump on my fish and has gotten worse and worse. i've tried just using aquarium salt, I tried lifeguard, I tried melafix, and I tried another medicine I can't remmeber at the moment. i've also tried just adding stress gaurd for a while for the aloe vera. he's in tank with a heater and filter. all the levels are good. does anyone have any idea what this could be and if I can help him? it's been 3 months or so of it just getting worse and worse. we sell bettas at my job and when I saw him getting worse I took him home but haven't been able to find any solution

Attachments

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I am amazed that he is even still alive with that on him. He looks almost split in half! I quite honestly do not believe this is something he can recover from, and definitely not something he can recover from on his own or with basic preventative meds. It may have been a tumor that eventually broke open and continued to expand and pulled the body with it. It's essentially impossible to remove even a normal tumor from a betta fish without surgical intervention (should only be attempted by a vet), and something that has gone this far is inoperable. Unfortunately, I would advise to euthanize with clove oil. Some people might come along with a better idea of what it actually is and may have different opinions than me.

BettaMom98

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The kindest thing to do at this point is euthanasia, I had to look twice at the photo thinking it was an optical illusion or something, poor dude.

OP
Macy Fenn

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I just hate to because he has always been so active and reactant to my voice and still is, as if nothing is wrong. he's always has the biggest appetite and he still will eat until he exploded no change in appetite at all. it's so odd to me i've spent hours researching what it could be and have found nothing like this
SM1199 said:
I am amazed that he is even still alive with that on him. He looks almost split in half! I quite honestly do not believe this is something he can recover from, and definitely not something he can recover from on his own or with basic preventative meds. It may have been a tumor that eventually broke open and continued to expand and pulled the body with it. It's essentially impossible to remove even a normal tumor from a betta fish without surgical intervention (should only be attempted by a vet), and something that has gone this far is inoperable. Unfortunately, I would advise to euthanize with clove oil. Some people might come along with a better idea of what it actually is and may have different opinions than me.
just hate to because he

OP
Macy Fenn

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
WinterSoldier. said:
Wow. I can't believe he's surviving. I would euthanize him as SM1199 said, probably the kindest thing to do
it's so crazy to me. I was told it was an ulcer when I first got him. he acts completely unaffected reacts to my voice, eats like he always has which is a ton, and he swims around a lot. I wish I could of found a way to fix it that's for sure. he's the best boy

Nikki2577

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Macy Fenn said:
it's so crazy to me. I was told it was an ulcer when I first got him. he acts completely unaffected reacts to my voice, eats like he always has which is a ton, and he swims around a lot. I wish I could of found a way to fix it that's for sure. he's the best boy
This is the craziest thing! Where the tumor or whatever it is looks impossible for him to be alive. I know everyone said to put him to sleep but if he swims around, eats and acts pretty normal I would just keep his water super clean and give him a great home until he passes.

OP
Macy Fenn

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Nikki2577 said:
This is the craziest thing! Where the tumor or whatever it is looks impossible for him to be alive. I know everyone said to put him to sleep but if he swims around, eats and acts pretty normal I would just keep his water super clean and give him a great home until he passes.
that's what I may do. until I see him acting sick. believe it or not he's the same betta as in my profile pic! that's the bump when I first got him and then it's the huge hole now

Attachments

BettaMom98

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I was suggesting humane euthanasia because where the hole is looks like it has even gone through the spine or compressed the spine lower into the body, either which way would be extremely uncomfortable. However if you plan to keep him going I do know an aggressive treatment plan that could work. If you would like to try.

OP
Macy Fenn

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BettaMom98 said:
I was suggesting humane euthanasia because where the hole is looks like it has even gone through the spine or compressed the spine lower into the body, either which way would be extremely uncomfortable. However if you plan to keep him going I do know an aggressive treatment plan that could work. If you would like to try.
I don't know what I will do I would be interested in hearing the treatment for sure though

Nikki2577

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Macy Fenn said:
that's what I may do. until I see him acting sick. believe it or not he's the same betta as in my profile pic! that's the bump when I first got him and then it's the huge hole now
Well he is beautiful and deserves the best. You are doing the best you can for him. I would also give him frozen food just because he deserves it! Lol I hope he continues to act normal and the wound stays clean.

BettaMom98

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I didn’t suggest it earlier because as I said it is an aggressive treatment plan and would cause some stress, but if he is strong enough then it could pull him through. I’ve seen another case (not quite as far along) that was able to save their betta who is still going strong today with only a slight scar. Get a 5 gallon tank and treat it accordingly with: melafix, kanaplex, metroplex, ial, betta revive, and a pinch of aquarium salt. That is what you keep him in. Then every 6 hrs treat him with a stronger aquarium salt bath in a separate container for 5 minutes. (This comes to a total of 4 baths a day, which means that yes, performing the baths throughout the night, and on schedule) make sure the 5gal always has appropriately clean water and this treatment goes on for a month.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Personally I think he is in pain. Imagine having a chunk of your back gone. It wouldn't feel to good would it? I would euthanize him even if he is acting 'normal'

OP
Macy Fenn

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BettaMom98 said:
I didn’t suggest it earlier because as I said it is an aggressive treatment plan and would cause some stress, but if he is strong enough then it could pull him through. I’ve seen another case (not quite as far along) that was able to save their betta who is still going strong today with only a slight scar. Get a 5 gallon tank and treat it accordingly with: melafix, kanaplex, metroplex, ial, betta revive, and a pinch of aquarium salt. That is what you keep him in. Then every 6 hrs treat him with a stronger aquarium salt bath in a separate container for 5 minutes. (This comes to a total of 4 baths a day, which means that yes, performing the baths throughout the night, and on schedule) make sure the 5gal always has appropriately clean water and this treatment goes on for a month.
wow! so do you have an idea of what it is/what causes it?

Nikki2577

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WinterSoldier. said:
Personally I think he is in pain. Imagine having a chunk of your back gone. It wouldn't feel to good would it? I would euthanize him even if he is acting 'normal'
I mean yes I agree but I wouldn’t think he would eat if he was in terrible pain would he?

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nikki2577 said:
I mean yes I agree but I wouldn’t think he would eat if he was in terrible pain would he?
When you are in the hospital you still get food right? When I broke my leg I still ate even though I was in terrible pain. Look man, the poor guy has 1/4 of his back gone! Not to be mean or anything, but I really don't know why you don't want to euthanize him.

Maybe you could get another betta or something to make it easier. I know its hard, I know what its like to have to lose a betta, I would hate to have to euthanize my Betta Bucky, hes got great personality, but I really don't think he going to recover. Can you post more pictures?

OP
Macy Fenn

Macy Fenn

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
WinterSoldier. said:
When you are in the hospital you still get food right? When I broke my leg I still ate even though I was in terrible pain. Look man, the poor guy has 1/4 of his back gone! Not to be mean or anything, but I really don't know why you don't want to euthanize him.

Maybe you could get another betta or something to make it easier. I know its hard, I know what its like to have to lose a betta, I would hate to have to euthanize my Betta Bucky, hes got great personality, but I really don't think he going to recover. Can you post more pictures?
I certainly agree with you that he is probably in pain. I mean it's a giant indention in his body. I do want to euthanize but I also don't want to as you said it is hard. I had posted him on before a month or so ago and just wanted to post it once more to see if anyone could enlighten me as to what it was. i've been on this site for a couple years so i've known for a couple weeks( it really just got this bad recently in a matter of days) that euthanizing with clove oil might be the outcome. no one knew what it was when I posted it at first and no one does still but I wanted to reach out to this forum and see if there was anything else to do once more.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Macy Fenn said:
I certainly agree with you that he is probably in pain. I mean it's a giant indention in his body. I do want to euthanize but I also don't want to as you said it is hard. I had posted him on before a month or so ago and just wanted to post it once more to see if anyone could enlighten me as to what it was. i've been on this site for a couple years so i've known for a couple weeks( it really just got this bad recently in a matter of days) that euthanizing with clove oil might be the outcome. no one knew what it was when I posted it at first and no one does still but I wanted to reach out to this forum and see if there was anything else to do once more.
I understand your plight, really I do, but its a mystery. Some things will just never be solved. It might have just 'happened'

Heathen

Reaction score
This looks rather like a graphite infection with a lesion. You can treat the fish, I have seen some similar tho the melafix will do little more than keep the wound clean, seachem stressguard can do the same for the fish. Graphite is a gram-positive bacteria and can be treated with kanamycin, rifampin, and clarithromycin. Graphite is aggressive and typically lethal for the fish. It is advised to be cautious with this and sanitize any equipment used with that tank if you have other tanks you maintain.

New Threads