holding tank help

serpent

Reaction score
hI there I have new 20G fish tank it was for freshwater but I wan't to use it to grow rock and corel and some other thing's I will only put blue leg snail's in it to help clean I think I have to change the light for the corel but do I need a skimmer and do I need a power head to help move the water and should I put crush corel in the tank. The tank come with every thing but for freshwater thank's

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well I would probably add something else besides blue legs unless you like cleaning your tank. If you do frequent water changes then a skimmer probably wouldn't be necessary but I would recommend it, maybe somebody else can tell you. yes you need a power head but depending on the type of corals you want decides how powerful it should be. Crush coral isn't the best I would go with aragonite, not live though.

I'm still a little confused is this tank empty, FW, or SW? If you want to grow corals then it's going to be expensive unless you want soft corals?

What exactly is the point of the tank, if you want to grow corals it isn't that hard to put a fish or two in it, corals are just as hard or if harder to take care of corals then fish.

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I thought - you may as well have some fishies I would recommend getting a good lighting sysrtem if you want to grow corals tho - and they do come at quite a price!

OP
S

serpent

Reaction score
I want to use the tank to try to grow coral's and other thing's and when I have it down pat I will try in my 50G just to help me I never did coral's befor that's all

and what type of bottems crawler will go good with coral's and can LG go in there to

Miss Mouse

Well Known
Reaction score
ooo I seee Well sounds like a good plan batman!
What do you mean by bottom crawlers? Like snails and shrimp?
I think snails are generally ok with corals as long as they have live rock to crawl on but I don't know much about keeping corals. Probably best to keep critters to a minimum with thme as they're so sensitive.
Here's a website I found that will tell you more about all the little invertabrates you can get.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom