Hoe much to feed them?

jack11
How many flakes should I be feeding 3 gdwarf gourami and a rainbowshark if I feed them twice a day?

Jack

lyndatu
You can use a plastic/disposable spoon to scoop the fish food, and you can give them 1/5 fish food on the spoon. Here's an advice: You can give them more than one kind of food so they won't get tired of the same food. Example: Flake Food today, Brown Pellets tomorrow, and it goes on. You can compose your own fish food diet and it can be fun!

Good luck with your fish!

jack11
Thanks, how much of each should I be feeding them each time?

Jack

lyndatu
1/5 of the spoon every feeding time. It's good that you do the twice-a-day feeding method, because if you feed them a lot once a day the uneaten food will decay.

Chief_waterchanger
That sounds like a good idea, and here is another way just to propose various options.

Watch them closely when you feed them for the first couple of times, feed them what they will eat in 2-5 minutes. If they eat it all fairly quick (1-3 minutes) toss a bit more in. Get a feel for how much they will eat in 2-5 minutes and try to feed that same amount repeatedly. Take into account if you use pellets that they are bulkier and expand as water is absorbed into them, so the process may need repeated with pellets.

Best of luck.

jack11
But my guys just eat everything and anything that enters the tank? ive tryed doing that before and I end up putting like 8-10 flakes in for 4 fish, is this ok?

Jack

sirdarksol
I would try to make sure that each guorami got two flakes or so, and the shark four or more. If this means the guorami get a few more, that's fine.

My take on feeding is a bit different from Chief's. I just try to make sure each fish gets a little bit. I feed my community tank (total of five small fish) around seven flakes each time, and they each get a bite. Since your fish are all a bit bigger than mine, you'll want them to average a bit more.

One thing to remember is that fish are cold-blooded, and so don't waste any energy on heating their bodies like we do. They need comparatively little food because of this. Fish can also go for several days (up to a week, even) without food and suffer no ill effects, so if one fish doesn't get food at one feeding, it's not the end of the world, as long as they all usually get food.

Butterfly
A fishes stomach is about the size of one eye so it doesn't take much to fill them up but they will continue to eat past being full. Remember what goes in also comes our as waste so if their being over fed they are producing more waste.
In the wild fish probably don't eat everyday. If food is plentiful they will stuff if it's not they will do with out. I imagine there is an inborn urge to eat all they can when it's available.
carol

COBettaCouple
I have that urge too! ;D;D;D

In the wild fish probably don't eat everyday. If food is plentiful they will stuff if it's not they will do with out. I imagine there is an inborn urge to eat all they can when it's available.
carol

jack11
I have that urge too! ;D;D;D

hahah as a growing, sport playing teenage boy I definanlty do.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Cherryshrimp420
Replies
Views
DoraCory
Replies
Views
jdr3366
Replies
Views