HOB or Canister?

?

If you had a tank between 75 - 125 gallons, which filter would you get?

1. Hang On Back

31.5%
  2. Canister

68.5%
  1. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

If you could have a tank as large as at least 75 galllons, up to 125 gallons, which filter would you get and why? Would you get more than one of the same kind?

2. dahly Member Member

I like the ease of cleaning and non existant monthly added cost of my Aqua Clear HOB's. Cleaning is a breeze and with their low cost at purchase, I can get two and get the 10x filtering capacity recommended for less than one cannister filter.

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

With I like Aquaclears very much, the rena Filstar cannister filters push a great deal more water thru a larger amount of media.

Thats the way I would go for bigger tanks.

Dino

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I really like my HOB filters, for their ease of cleaning.
    Carol

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I personally hate HOB filters but still use them on some of my tanks. Canister filters are my favorite filters.

6. Isabella Fishlore VIP Member

Thank you for the replies :)

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

canisters are too expensive for me right now so i just use hob

8. Jason Well Known Member Member

I'm gettin a canister for my new tank

9. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

HOB filters are cheaper and easier, but due to their design are much less efficient. So, if I had enough money (which I probably wouldn't ;)), I would go with a canister.

10. COBettaCouple Fishlore Legend Member

2 HOBs, each rated for that tank capacity, one on each side.

11. darkwolf29a Member Member

Both. :D

But, then...I have a 75 gallon, with an Oscar in it, and I use the cannister for biofilteration and the HOB as the water polisher. ;)

12. Sabi Well Known Member Member

Canister.:)

13. Tayful Member Member

Canister all the way, I have a 70g and that's what I'm using. :)

14. hockeyref88 Well Known Member Member

I have canisters on all of mine and love them. If cost is an issue I can understand not using one, but only for that reason.

Rick

15. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I answered "Canister" but it kind of depends on the range. I have a 90g with a HOB, but it also is understocked, has a lot of plants, and has a refugium with lucky bamboo to provide extra biological filtration and to draw nitrates from the water. If I were to only have one kind of filter on a larger tank than that, it would be a canister.

16. Tumbleweed Well Known Member Member

I prefer a canister filter. I use the Fluval 405 on my 100gal tank and love it. Really quiet, easy to use, and has a great biological filter on it. Plus I think the tank looks much cleaner having the filter under it hidden in the stand and only 2 pipes hanging on the back vs. a large filter system itself hanking on the tank.

17. MousePotato Well Known Member Member

I agree with Tumbleweed. Plus, my HOB does make such a mess on the wall, the lights, me, when I get too close... They are easier to clean, but they also need cleaning more often.

18. CoryMac Member Member

Canister & HOB together the more the better;)

19. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

canister! if they made canisters small and cheap enough i would get one for every single one of my tanks!

20. FL CommunityFans Well Known Member Member

Where's the option for BOTH?!

I run a canister on all large tanks as well as a HOB. The canister is my primary bio-filter and the HOb I stuff full of AC sponges to act as a supreme mechanical filter. 4 of 100/70 sponges in an emp400 a long with the marineland blue pad and you'll have some nice mech. filtration ;)