HOB or Canister?

If you had a tank between 75 - 125 gallons, which filter would you get?

• Total voters

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If you could have a tank as large as at least 75 galllons, up to 125 gallons, which filter would you get and why? Would you get more than one of the same kind?

dahly

Reaction score
I like the ease of cleaning and non existant monthly added cost of my Aqua Clear HOB's. Cleaning is a breeze and with their low cost at purchase, I can get two and get the 10x filtering capacity recommended for less than one cannister filter.

Dino

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
With I like Aquaclears very much, the rena Filstar cannister filters push a great deal more water thru a larger amount of media.

That's the way I would go for bigger tanks.

Dino

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really like my HOB filters, for their ease of cleaning.
Carol

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HOB filters are cheaper and easier, but due to their design are much less efficient. So, if I had enough money (which I probably wouldn't ), I would go with a canister.

hockeyref88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have canisters on all of mine and love them. If cost is an issue I can understand not using one, but only for that reason.

Rick

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I answered "Canister" but it kind of depends on the range. I have a 90g with a HOB, but it also is understocked, has a lot of plants, and has a refugium with lucky bamboo to provide extra biological filtration and to draw nitrates from the water. If I were to only have one kind of filter on a larger tank than that, it would be a canister.

Tumbleweed

Well Known
Reaction score
I prefer a canister filter. I use the Fluval 405 on my 100gal tank and love it. Really quiet, easy to use, and has a great biological filter on it. Plus I think the tank looks much cleaner having the filter under it hidden in the stand and only 2 pipes hanging on the back vs. a large filter system itself hanking on the tank.

MousePotato

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree with Tumbleweed. Plus, my HOB does make such a mess on the wall, the lights, me, when I get too close... They are easier to clean, but they also need cleaning more often.

bettafish2816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
canister! if they made canisters small and cheap enough I would get one for every single one of my tanks!

FL CommunityFans

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Where's the option for BOTH?!

I run a canister on all large tanks as well as a HOB. The canister is my primary bio-filter and the HOb I stuff full of AC sponges to act as a supreme mechanical filter. 4 of 100/70 sponges in an emp400 a long with the marineland blue pad and you'll have some nice mech. filtration

New Threads