Hob Filter Vs. Sponge Filter

BillynJennifer

I have a HOB filter in my 10 gallon shrimp tank, with a sponge over the intake. I am wanting to switch to a sponge filter in the next few days. Will I have a minI cycle by taking the HOB with the media in it out, and adding the sponge filter?

jennalynnj

I have a HOB filter in my 10 gallon shrimp tank, with a sponge over the intake. I am wanting to switch to a sponge filter in the next few days. Will I have a minI cycle by taking the HOB with the media in it out, and adding the sponge filter?
Could you just keep the HOB in for awhile and run both until the sponge is ready?

BillynJennifer

Could you just keep the HOB in for awhile and run both until the sponge is ready?

I could, but I'm going to use a powerhead, attached to the sponge filter for water movement and to make the sponge filter run more efficiently. Using the powerhead and the HOB filter may make too much water movement. I could possibly throttle the HOB down with a different sponge over the intake to lessen the water movement, and use the sponge filter and the HOB together.

jennalynnj

I could, but I'm going to use a powerhead, attached to the sponge filter for water movement and to make the sponge filter run more efficiently. Using the powerhead and the HOB filter may make too much water movement. I could possibly throttle the HOB down with a different sponge over the intake to lessen the water movement, and use the sponge filter and the HOB together.
I wonder if you could somehow attach the media on a pantyhose to the sponge filter? Just a thought..

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TeachersPet
Replies
Views
FloatyGimpy
  • Question
Replies
Views
Marioguerra94
Replies