HOB filter question

Razoraptor

Reaction score
Hey guys, i recently got a new filter and the water comes through the 2nd, smaller slide 1 week after i put in a new cartridge. Do i need to do something to stop this, or should i let it go?
Thanks!

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Razoraptor said:
Hey guys, i recently got a new filter and the water comes through the 2nd, smaller slide 1 week after i put in a new cartridge. Do i need to do something to stop this, or should i let it go?
Thanks!
Mine does this as well, and I just kinda let it do its thing as long as the water is also flowing down the part it is meant to.

It just sucks up more water than it can push through the filter media, so some spills out.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Do you mean the Penguin 350 or something close? I have it as well. One side's outflow better than the other. It's tricky with the placement of the cartridges. I've trimmed the cartridges and add all sorts of other things into the filter. The cartridges are diagonal in my 350 because I've added so many other filtration materials. Flow isn't always even, but they're good HOBs and quiet IME.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have the 350s and the "small slide" is an overflow that is meant to let you know the media is getting too full and needs to be replaced.
I honestly just ignore it and if the regular outflow slide is literally dribbling out, then change the filter floss. (I moved to filter floss because I noticed that the cartridges were too much money and seemed to be less efficient than a few years ago....)

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Razoraptor said:
Do you know of a brand of floss i should buy?
I think mine was Pinky floss, but I'm not sure if it was and I'm not sure that it is the best.
I think they're all pretty much the same.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
You can buy untreated polyfill from , , , and a lot of other B&M or online sources. It comes in a bag, or in sheets that can be cut-to-fit. Both are far cheaper than floss "for aquariums". Just make sure it's not been treated for mold, mildew, flame retardant, or any other treatment. I but the one I linked at walmart, and from experience, a little goes a long way :).

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As people have said ditch the carts for sponges. Even my rebuildable carts have been swapped for sponges.

Also a big prefilter will keep them from plugging up so fast. it will increase filter effectiveness, it will also protect fry better.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CHJ said:
As people have said ditch the carts for sponges. Even my rebuildable carts have been swapped for sponges.

Also a big prefilter will keep them from plugging up so fast. it will increase filter effectiveness, it will also protect fry better.
Yes! The prefilter is probably the best thing to get. It keeps the cartridges clean longer and adds surface area to the filter. If you look at one that fits over a 350 intake, it has probably 4 or 5 times the mass of actual floss as the prebuilt cartridges. They aren't cheap, but they work well!

OP
Razoraptor

Razoraptor

Reaction score
One more question, how do pre filters work? It looks like they cover up the whole thing, how does dirt get sucked through the tube then?

Dawn Michele

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi. I use the Penguin 350 filters on my 125 & 72 gallon Bow Front. I LOVE them!!! Keeps the water crystal clear and they are quiet. I use filter foam from Swiss Tropical and Fluval Bio Rings.

Mongo75

Well Known
Reaction score
Razoraptor said:
One more question, how do pre filters work? It looks like they cover up the whole thing, how does dirt get sucked through the tube then?
The prefilter catches the big "stuff", not what I wanted to say :D, then the rest goes up the tube, and is further strained by your sponges and floss. If it's been done right, by the time it reaches your bio-media, it's mostly water and ammonia and nitrites, to feed your bacteria. When it comes cleaning time, you rinse the prefilter and everything else in your old water, and you're good to go :).

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sanderguy777 said:
Yes! The prefilter is probably the best thing to get. It keeps the cartridges clean longer and adds surface area to the filter. If you look at one that fits over a 350 intake, it has probably 4 or 5 times the mass of actual floss as the prebuilt cartridges. They aren't cheap, but they work well!
They aren't cheap?
For my larger intakes I get this

You cut a square of the right size and then put a slit in it to create a pocket for the intake cage. I do this with HOBs, Fluval 30x/40x and even FX 6s.

I used to use

for this you have to cut the right size and then do a little sewing.

Depending on intake size for smaller HOBs I like

you just have to plug the end with some foam.

For crazy big prefilters you could even modify a normal large foam filter to fit on the end.

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CHJ said:
They aren't cheap?
For my larger intakes I get this

You cut a square of the right size and then put a slit in it to create a pocket for the intake cage. I do this with HOBs, Fluval 30x/40x and even FX 6s.

I used to use

for this you have to cut the right size and then do a little sewing.

Depending on intake size for smaller HOBs I like

you just have to plug the end with some foam.

For crazy big prefilters you could even modify a normal large foam filter to fit on the end.
I was meaning the $12 purpose-built ones from Aquarium co-op etc. They aren't expensive, but compared to $24 penguin 350s, they are 50% of the cost lol

New Threads