HOB filter not working?? Help

mileshasabrowndogenm

Hello. I was putting sand in my 20 gallon tank today and I forgot to turn off the filter while doing it. It started making this weird sound and then I turned it off. I just tried to turn it back on and nothin. I tried taking it apart to see if anything was clogged, but I’ve never done that before and I think just made it worse because I had trouble putting it back together. I’m gonna try putting it back together again and test my outlet to make sure it’s not that that isn’t working. (It’s a topfin hob btw) can anyone help me? I’m rly stressed rn.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Probably some sand got where the propeller goes or the motor. I would take the filter, fill it with water, then afterwards flip it over into a bucket, that would be my only hope to get out of the motor.

Upvote 0

alven

Hello. I was putting sand in my 20 gallon tank today and I forgot to turn off the filter while doing it. It started making this weird sound and then I turned it off. I just tried to turn it back on and nothin. I tried taking it apart to see if anything was clogged, but I’ve never done that before and I think just made it worse because I had trouble putting it back together. I’m gonna try putting it back together again and test my outlet to make sure it’s not that that isn’t working. (It’s a topfin hob btw) can anyone help me? I’m rly stressed rn.
Maybe try taking some pictures so people can understand better to help?

Upvote 0

Sappy79

Definitely sand jamming the impeller shaft....take it back apart and pull the impeller (little fan looking thing) out of the motor....should be right under the where the intake tube goes into the filter.....rinse the hole you took it out of and the impeller real good and you're golden.

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

Quite often you will be able to download instructions for filters online and buy replacement parts as well. If sand has got into the impellor it should be removable and cleanable. I have no idea of topfin hob filters but they seem popular over the pond in the USA.

Upvote 0

mileshasabrowndogenm

Definitely sand jamming the impeller shaft....take it back apart and pull the impeller (little fan looking thing) out of the motor....should be right under the where the intake tube goes into the filter.....rinse the hole you took it out of and the impeller real good and you're golden.
It worked!!!! It’s still making a bit of a funny sound though...

Upvote 0

WRWAquarium

Oh well done! Least it's working, maybe there is a bit of tiny bit of sand left In there causing the noise and it will go after a short time.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Yeah probably, just do it a second time, and if it still is making the noise grab a q-tip and try to swab it out.

Upvote 0

Sappy79

Glad I could help and good luck on all your fishkeeping endeavors!

Upvote 0

mattgirl

If there is still sand in there you need to take it apart and get all of it out of there. The sand will chew up the impeller and could even damage the motor itself. I am actually speaking from experience. I made basically the same mistake and had to end up replacing one of my HOB filters. Just replacing the impeller didn't help. Thankfully it was my oldest one and was probably getting toward the end of its life anyway.
If it is still making an unusual sound the impeller may not be seated well, there is still some sand in there or there may be air in the tubes. My HOB's pretty much self prime when some water is still in them but often after plugged back in I can hear it sucking air. I just slowly keep pouring water in it until all of the air is out of the system.

Upvote 0

mileshasabrowndogenm

If there is still sand in there you need to take it apart and get all of it out of there. The sand will chew up the impeller and could even damage the motor itself. I am actually speaking from experience. I made basically the same mistake and had to end up replacing one of my HOB filters. Just replacing the impeller didn't help. Thankfully it was my oldest one and was probably getting toward the end of its life anyway.

If it is still making an unusual sound the impeller may not be seated well, there is still some sand in there or there may be air in the tubes. My HOB's pretty much self prime when some water is still in them but often after plugged back in I can hear it sucking air. I just slowly keep pouring water in it until all of the air is out of the system.
I left it for a little while and the sound stopped and it seems to be working back to usual

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechi
  • Question
Replies
Views
PunyFish
  • Question
Replies
Views