Hob Filter Mod?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Joanbeez, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Joanbeez

JoanbeezNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    SO I have no clue what to do with my HOB filter after reading so much about people accidentally restarting their cycles.(what the ****??? All my fishes sacrifice should not be in vain???) Should I replace the cartridge with a new one? Should I modify my filter and take out the cartridge altogether like in the YouTube videos and replace it with a sponge? Shouldn’t there be carbon in there though to help purify the water... Or is that just a precautionary step? I’m so lost !!!:emoji_confounded:

2. surajk

surajkValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have a similar hob which came with 3 filter cartridges. Here's what I suggest - take out the cartridges and make a small cut in the back of the filter cloth and shake the carbon out. Discard the carbon. Rinse the same de-carboned cartridges in tank water (NOT tap) Put the cartridges back but add a Sponge to it, as much as will fit without too much overflow. After two weeks, your new Sponge should be adequately colonised and you can throw away the cartridge... if you really need to. Else keep it until it begins to degrade.

Carbon is not needed unless you have contaminated tap water or added metals. The inclusion in cartridges IMO is a way to make you change a filter cartridge every month. Without the carbon the cartridge could easily last 3 to 6mo

I'm now using sponge, filter wool and coral rubble in my HOB. The coral rubble is amazing as bio-media.

3. OP
    OP
    Joanbeez

JoanbeezNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you so much for clearing that up for me, the filter doesn’t look bad just yet but I am preparing myself. I’ll be taking the carbon out once I get an appropriate sponge. Will any sponge be okay as long as I cut it to an appropriate size ?

4. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
  5. Vancouver Mike

Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    We don't want to kill off your BB so let's deal with that by not replacing the whole cartridge but by just removing the carbon out of the pouch and replacing it (if your cartridge has been in use less then a month I wouldn't change it ) with cotton batting or a sponge or whatever is ýou feel will work. I just started using cotton batting myself.
    This way u keep your BB and you'll save $ as well. Most seem to only use the stock carbon pouches to clean the water of meds ,otherwise cotton batting works well.
    If u don't have anything to "hotrod" your filter I would just swoosh your used filter in your out take tank water and put back in. You can add bio rocks to increase your BB.
    But ya you should be fine just don't throw out the old filter, if u have dual hob do one then wait a couple weeks and do the other one.
    Polyfill you can get it and Wal-Mart or craft store.
    It's super late I gotta crash. Hopefully I helped with one of your questions

6. surajk

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    Get coarse and fine Sponge, arrange coarse before fine. Aquarium-specific sponge is better, if you're using household sponges, some will degrade in water and will not work. 3M scotch Brite sponges clearly state which ones cannot be used for aquariums. Nylon and other all plastic sponges work fine,, some people swear by the little plastic pot scrubbers. the green scouring pads are a toss up, and the cellulose ones are an absolute no no.. they will come apart spectacularly.

Filter wool or polyester batting works fine too, just make sure it does not have any antibacterial or antifungals in them.. anything that says fights germs or mildew is nope nope nope

You could also keep some ceramic noodles in there. I find they are easy to maintain and maintain bacteria even when they are cleaned.

Do not use cotton.. polyester or nylon batting only. Cotton degrades and will rot over time.

7. Dawn Michele

Dawn MicheleWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello. I use poret filter foam from Swiss Tropical's & Fluval bio ring's in my Marineland Penguin 350 filter's and it and it does a great job!!!

8. surajk

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hi Dawn.. love the videos of your Oscars.. never had them, maybe someday...

On the poret filter foam, how long does it last? I might switch from the no-brand polyester filter wool I'm using. Its beginning to come apart in abt 3months.

9. Dawn Michele

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hello. Thank you. IM glad you enjoy the videos. It lasts forever!!! This stuff is incredible.
    http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/poret-foam-shop/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  10. grump299

grump299Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +323
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    You can also use lava rock in your filter for bio media it's not the best but IMO better then pot scrubbers and it is fairly cheap and can be broken to what ever size will fit in your filter..

11. Vancouver Mike

Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    Interesting...I've been told by many to use cotton batting as they have been using it for years. Won't pretty much anything degrade or rot over time? Edit .I guess polyfill would be a better option? How long would u say I have with cotton batting before it rots? I just put some in my cartridge a week ago

I just wanted to add that using a pre filter which goes on your intake tube will add BB as well as serve to help take some of the load off your filter. Mine collects a lot of junk. Here is a link that really helped me and I'm looking through again now ha
    https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfi...tream-aquaclear-and-other-hob-filters.385506/

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2019
  12. surajk

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    I can imagine why... Cotton would probably hold bacteria really well. Synthetics (plastics) don't rot since there isn't a natural microbe that can eat it, while organics like cotton do. I really couldn't tell you how long it takes to degrade in an aquarium filter, but cotton in a compost heap could degrade in weeks or a few months . The problem with cheap polyfills (as I'm facing) is not rotting as much as falling apart - fibres detaching from the main body of polyfills batting as the network of fibres frays. That issue isn't there in a sponge or a foam mat, so I'll probably plonk down the cash for that soon.
    That problem would also exist in cotton batting, I'm sure it'll be a disgusting mess to clean and maintain.

Dawn, thanks for the link. do you just double or triple up the foam mats or is a single 0.5inch enough?

13. Dawn Michele

Ratings:
    +2,534
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Your welcome. I use the 1 inch 10 PPI blue.

14. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,624
    Experience:
    1 year
    @Joanbeez , the link to the thread on this forum that both @david1978 and @Vancouver Mike posted abouve will point you in the right direction and give you all of the info, pictures and examples you need.

Let us know how those mods turn out if you try them.

15. OP
    OP
    Joanbeez

JoanbeezNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +30
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you for all your help guys, so glad I found this community! I’m reading reading reading! Will give y’all an update ASAP!

Is this the right kind of sponge ?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2019
  16. surajk

Ratings:
    +46
    Experience:
    Just started
    That looks aquarium safe and perfect for coarse filtration. You need one that's more fine pore to grow bacteria and keep your water clean, if you intend to get rid of your cartridge altogether sometime. If not, you can use this.

17. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,624
    Experience:
    1 year
    Give it a try and see how well it works.

It probably will need to be trimmed to fit correctly.

When you take out the current cartridge, cut out the felt looking material and place it in with the sponge.

18. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +395
    Experience:
    More than 10 years

Pillow batting works really good...although Amazon has it a bit overpriced for so much of it...

19. david1978

david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +9,405
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I got my pillow stuffing from wallmart. Was the cheapest I could find.

20. SFGiantsGuy

SFGiantsGuyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +395
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    lol in that respect, I agree. Even though I'm kind of a Wal-Mart hater heh...