HOB filter location on the side, rather than the back?

bettasaurus

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am trying to pre-plan a 20 gallon-long tank. I was just wondering, for the current location that I would like to put my aquarium, the HOB filter that I'd use (Aquaclear 30) would ultimately have to hang on one of the short ends of the tank rather than the back. Would that still create a good flow in the tank? I can't seem to find anything about this or maybe just can't search for the correct phrase but any experience (especially if you do this with your own tank) with this would be much appreciated!

thefishn00b

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
bettasaurus said:
I am trying to pre-plan a 20 gallon-long tank. I was just wondering, for the current location that I would like to put my aquarium, the HOB filter that I'd use (Aquaclear 30) would ultimately have to hang on one of the short ends of the tank rather than the back. Would that still create a good flow in the tank? I can't seem to find anything about this or maybe just can't search for the correct phrase but any experience (especially if you do this with your own tank) with this would be much appreciated!
i think that will be fine but just to be sure i would put a airstone on the other side of the tank. quick question does the aqua clear filter have a adjustable flow?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes but the adjustment is not very significant. Also I don't think an airstone is necessary for the fish; the aquaclear creates a pretty good current and putting it on the side allows the water to flow the longer length of the tank. I think most people put it on the back more for hiding the filter than flow considerations.

In general if you want air in the tank i always recommend a sponge filter (a small one for a 20 high); which also provides some backup biological filtration. This has some advantage if one is over aggressive in cleaning their filters...

thefishn00b said:
i think that will be fine but just to be sure i would put a airstone on the other side of the tank. quick question does the aqua clear filter have a adjustable flow?

New Threads