Hob Filter Impeller Too Noisy

Autiwara

Reaction score
I bought an unbranded palm sized hang on the back filter in march and it arrived today, I didn't have high expectations for it as it's unbranded but it works fairly fine... Except for the fact that it literally said "quiet flow" on the box and it's NOT quiet. At all. I think it might be the impeller
a132419c0b9279749544d3604c84af6a.jpg

3966d40071a39b654dacceb59f0e478e.jpg

But as you can see I don't think I can actually remove the motor because it's siliconed to the plastic.
So, I'm blank. Any ideas?

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Because i have a cheap one which makes a horrible sound if the intake pipe is not positioned 110% perfect, on amazon it had bad reviews but for me its running perfect silent, if its nothing to do with the intake pipe i dont think theres much you can do its trial and error just try d.i.y it as its only cheap anyway.

Diesmali

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have s similar little pump/impeller and I think I figured out it isn't the impeller making the noise but something it's vibrating against. I added some rubber padding, tightened up its enclosure and silent now. Might work for you,isolate it from anything it can vibrate against.

Autiwara

Reaction score
How did you stop it from vibrating? I tried adding a thin piece of sponge but it just flew off the impeller and I tried a rubber band but that kept the impeller in place, so I'm not sure what to do, the impeller is fastened with a magnet in the motor it seems?

Diesmali

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I didn't stop it vibrating. I used some rubber to isolate the vibrations. Probably still vibrates. If it's excessive I think it's likely a bent pin and you can probably get a replacement at your LFS.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom