Hob Filter Impeller Too Noisy

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Autiwara, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Autiwara

Autiwara New Member Member

I bought an unbranded palm sized hang on the back filter in march and it arrived today, I didn't have high expectations for it as it's unbranded but it works fairly fine... Except for the fact that it literally said "quiet flow" on the box and it's NOT quiet. At all. I think it might be the impeller
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But as you can see I don't think I can actually remove the motor because it's siliconed to the plastic.
    So, I'm blank. Any ideas?

2. OP
    OP
    Autiwara

[​IMG]
    Okay no I discovered that I could indeed remove the impeller pfft

3. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Does the sound go if you run it without the intake pipe on but full of water ?

4. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Because i have a cheap one which makes a horrible sound if the intake pipe is not positioned 110% perfect, on amazon it had bad reviews but for me its running perfect silent, if its nothing to do with the intake pipe i dont think theres much you can do its trial and error just try d.i.y it as its only cheap anyway.

5. OP
    OP
    Autiwara

No it seems like it's just the impeller :( The intake tube isn't doing anything

6. Diesmali

Diesmali Valued Member Member

I have s similar little pump/impeller and I think I figured out it isn't the impeller making the noise but something it's vibrating against. I added some rubber padding, tightened up its enclosure and silent now. Might work for you,isolate it from anything it can vibrate against.

7. OP
    OP
    Autiwara

How did you stop it from vibrating? I tried adding a thin piece of sponge but it just flew off the impeller and I tried a rubber band but that kept the impeller in place, so I'm not sure what to do, the impeller is fastened with a magnet in the motor it seems?

8. Diesmali

Diesmali Valued Member Member

I didn't stop it vibrating. I used some rubber to isolate the vibrations. Probably still vibrates. If it's excessive I think it's likely a bent pin and you can probably get a replacement at your LFS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice